Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What gear/supplies do you need to hunt deer? >

What gear/supplies do you need to hunt deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What gear/supplies do you need to hunt deer?

Old 07-08-2015, 05:42 PM
Spike

Default What gear/supplies do you need to hunt deer?

It'll be my first season hunting (if all goes well) and I want to make sure I have everything down. I was wondering if someone could critique what I listed and/or add on to it (other than the bow and arrows):

Hunting License and Tags
Tree Stand
Camo Clothes (I'm getting a scent lock shirt)
Scent Killer Deodorant
Scent Killer Dryer Sheets
Scent Killer Body Wash & Shampoo
Field Knife

Optional Stuff I may buy:
Doe in Estrus Scent

I also plan on putting the clothes I will be wearing in a garbage bag with pine sticks/needles. Is it okay if I then leave the bag inside my house? I don't feel very comfortable for it to stay outside and all.

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2015, 05:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like you have everything you need..............................

Go get'em buddy !!!
Old 07-08-2015, 05:58 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Sounds like you have everything you need..............................

Go get'em buddy !!!
Thanks! I appreciate it!

Forgot to add- No Scent Detergent
Old 07-08-2015, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

It depends on what I'm doing... but since you mentioned archery I'll go with that.
My bow, 4 Arrows, My climbing stand.
I carry a small backpack with:
-Hunting license, zip tie, pen
-20ft of lightweight rope with a small brass clip on the end for pulling bow and backpack into tree.
-Knife
-Drag Rope
-Water bottle, sometimes 2 or 3 depending on where and when I'm hunting
-Snacks (Again, if I'm only out for 2 hours I don't need any, if I'm going all day I'll pack a full lunch.)
- Gloves, Face Mask, Hat
-My clothing: Military surplus camo I picked up. I layer my clothing so if it's warmer I'll carry the stand in wearing a Tshirt, then add a long sleeve shirt and eventually the jacket.
-Boots: Something warm and waterproof.

You'll hear various opinions on the scentlok stuff.... sounds like you're already sold on the stuff. I kill multiple deer every year and don't use it. I do spray the scentblocker stuff, not sure if it works. I keep my clothing in a plastic storage tub, but only put it there once it is hung dry in my garage. Learning to properly hunt the wind is the most important thing you can do IMO. I kill multiple deer every year throughout various seasons and never spent a penny on scentlok clothing or laundry stuff. Not saying it doesn't work... just saying I don't need it.
hope this helps.
-jake

Last edited by Bocajnala; 07-08-2015 at 06:07 PM.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:09 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
It depends on what I'm doing... but since you mentioned archery I'll go with that.
My bow, 4 Arrows, My climbing stand.
I carry a small backpack with:
-Hunting license, zip tie, pen
-20ft of lightweight rope with a small brass clip on the end for pulling bow and backpack into tree.
-Knife
-Drag Rope
-Water bottle, sometimes 2 or 3 depending on where and when I'm hunting
-Snacks (Again, if I'm only out for 2 hours I don't need any, if I'm going all day I'll pack a full lunch.)
- Gloves, Face Mask, Hat
-My clothing: Military surplus camo I picked up. I layer my clothing so if it's warmer I'll carry the stand in wearing a Tshirt, then add a long sleeve shirt and eventually the jacket.
-Boots: Something warm and waterproof.

You'll hear various opinions on the scentlok stuff.... sounds like you're already sold on the stuff. I kill multiple deer every year and don't use it. I do spray the scentblocker stuff, not sure if it works. I keep my clothing in a plastic storage tub, but only put it there once it is hung dry in my garage. Learning to properly hunt the wind is the most important thing you can do IMO. I kill multiple deer every year throughout various seasons and never spent a penny on scentlok clothing or laundry stuff. Not saying it doesn't work... just saying I don't need it.
hope this helps.
-jake
Thanks for the post!

Forgot about food & water, but I'll def. bring some haha. Would you say it's better to hang dry and hand wash the clothes instead of using laundry machines with the Scent Killer items?
Old 07-08-2015, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

I'm really not the one to ask for scentlok stuff. Maybe someone will chime in that knows more. This is what I was wearing when I shot my archery doe last year. It was still pretty warm. I had a tan pair of field pants and a black tshirt. I had a long sleeve in the pack to put on if it got chilly in the evening but I shot the doe before it got chilly. I got pretty sweaty dragging her out as she was way down in a creek bottom and a long way off the road. But this is what I wore. I definitely take my clothing less seriously than many archers. I'll also add I'm NOT a trophy hunter in any sense of the word. if It's legal, I'll take it. I hunt for the meat. But as you can see, I don't wear $300 worth of clothing. I often go right after work and just throw whatever on. Like I said, if you know your stand setups and have multiple options you can play the wind and that's what works for me. Have multiple options for your hunting property(s) depending on what the winds doing and always hunt the wind. Even if you KNOW you'll see deer if you hunt such and such a stand... if the wind isn't right, stay out of it. Wait for a better day.
-Jake

Old 07-08-2015, 07:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Okay, I agree with Jake - bring one of these.

"-Drag Rope"

.................Who knows, it may come in handy !??
Old 07-09-2015, 02:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Title lied.

All you really need to hunt deer is knowledge of the animal, habits and habitat.

A weapon, bow and arrows/ gun and ammo

small folding knife

drag rope and proper tags to be legal

And biggest most important is patience's

All that listed stuff is just sales crap.

Al
Old 07-09-2015, 09:16 AM
Spike

List looks pretty good. I would add some ribbon for marking off a blood trail if it becomes necessary, a flashlight, make sure you know how to dress a deer (gut & skin...and quarter too if a long ways away), folding saw for splitting the pelvis (not vital but sure easier), sharpening tool for knife, and know your yardages from your stand.
All the scent killer stuff isn't really necessary like was mentioned...the wind has to be right or your in trouble...period. If the wind happens to change or swirl, then I believe scent killer might make them think your further away than you really are and maybe give you a few extra seconds for a shot, but bottom line is if they are downwind from you they are going to leave.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:26 AM
Typical Buck

If in any kind of stand SAFETY HARNESS and some way to contact someone if emergency happens.

Last edited by vapahunter; 07-10-2015 at 08:51 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.