Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What gear/supplies do you need to hunt deer? >

What gear/supplies do you need to hunt deer?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What gear/supplies do you need to hunt deer?

Old 07-09-2015, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

You'll need a safety harness:

Here's what I carry in my fanny pack (For rifle hunting--though bowhunting will be on the agenda this year).

A knife
A flashlight
A drag rope
An emergency poncho
A couple of baggies for the deer heart and liver
A box rifle shells
An ink pen for filling out a tag. A way to attach it to the deer.

Other things that are good: marking tape. A cell phone (good for bowhunters if they have trouble and fall out of the tree stand. You don't want to be hanging there.)
Old 07-10-2015, 08:21 AM
Fork Horn

Think the only additional item I could add for sure is one preferably two quality compasses. I like Brunton and Cammega. Suunto and Silva work too.

My dad's forestry compass was a Silva Ranger and the old models with aluminum dial are stout units.

Forgot if you mentioned matches and / or a lighter. Night shift can get the best of me at the end of the week.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Lowry
It'll be my first season hunting (if all goes well) and I want to make sure I have everything down.....

I also plan on putting the clothes I will be wearing in a garbage bag with pine sticks/needles. Is it okay if I then leave the bag inside my house? I don't feel very comfortable for it to stay outside and all.

Thanks!
Was a hunters safety course required?

Putting clothes in a bag with debri to get scent saturation may sound like a good idea, but I personally avoid it. Thing is, ticks may be crawling on it. So it, or they, will get on your clothes, then somewhere on you. One tick can do a lot of damage to your health.

In hot weather I wear a product called Rino skin. Over that, I wear a camo, mesh bug suit.

Permethrin would also be worth considering without a suit.

Last edited by Game Stalker; 07-10-2015 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't think you said how you were hunting -- archery or rifle. If you are rifle hunting you can simplify your routine if it pleases you. For example, you can successfully hunt with a rifle without camo clothes and without a tree stand. Because archery hunters have to get very close to their quary, naturally more importance is laid on camo clothes and scent control. If you are rifle hunting, you could easily hunt with red flannel shirt and blue jeans. Find a good ground blind that breaks up your outline and that is in the shade, sit still, when you do move move SLOWLY, and wait for a deer to show up.

You could add a pair of hand pruning shears for trimming branches from your line of sight and to open shooting lanes.

I would advise you to avoid getting too wrapped up in acquiring a bunch of gear. Most of it you just don't need and it is a distraction from the hunting experience itself. Daniel Boone shot a lot of deer but didn't have much gear with him to make that happen.

Last edited by Alsatian; 07-10-2015 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ha, spent too much time hunting deep and alone

Small bag portion

drag web

extra batteries for lights

gutting knife and compass

rope for pulling up gear up to stand

small thin rope

trail marker

deer grunter

2 chemical hand warmers

ink pen

small ear protectors

Larger pack

ankle\arm wrap

emergency fire starter/sctredded paper

wood matches

small bungee cords for stand hauling

deer haul rope

pair of warm weather camo gloves

spare bolts for tree stand

rain jacket-(rolled up)

emergency poncho package

emergency blanket

2 small flashlights

3 small lighter package

package victorinox 7 piece set

toilet paper

water bottle and food

Plastic bags for deer parts

Have to doublecheck. But I did haul the day pack and climbing tree stand into and out of the woods alone.

Last edited by Valentine; 07-10-2015 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you have everything that you need. I too never use any of the scent stuff. I have never had a problem shooting whatever I am after. IF you want to spend a few more $$$ a bone saw is the only thing that you are missing.
Old 07-10-2015, 04:58 PM
Spike

Thanks for the replies everyone! I'll be bow hunting! And I'll make sure to check out all the things that were suggested, thanks again!

Originally Posted by Game Stalker
Was a hunters safety course required?

Putting clothes in a bag with debri to get scent saturation may sound like a good idea, but I personally avoid it. Thing is, ticks may be crawling on it. So it, or they, will get on your clothes, then somewhere on you. One tick can do a lot of damage to your health.

In hot weather I wear a product called Rino skin. Over that, I wear a camo, mesh bug suit.

Permethrin would also be worth considering without a suit.
I'll be getting my HS course completed in August, last year I observed my friend with an Apprentice License. And good point with the debris! I was actually just told a similar thing and to just use pine needles picked from trees since they're less likely to have ticks (not too sure about that tho).
Old 07-11-2015, 07:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

What I carry depends on how I'm hunting. If I'm on one of the private ranches in CO I can get on I often just carry my rifle, 5 or 6 shells, the tag, a good knife, some water and my binos. In other words, what I have in my pockets. I can do this because I'm never more than an hr walk to the truck and I know the land. If I drop a deer I can go back and get the truck and drive up to it unless it is really muddy or the snow is deep. In that case I go to the ranch house and borrow a horse to get it out.

Now, if I'm going out in the backcountry I carry a daypack on a pack frame with all the above plus a few extra shells, game bags, a folding saw, a first aid kit, some food, at least a quart of water, space blanket, small tarp for rigging a lean to, topo map, compass, 2 knives plus a sharpener and a couple extra blades for my Havalon, 3 different ways to start a fire, cotton balls covered with vaseline, water purification straw, dry socks/t-shirt/underwear, a stocking hat, balaclava, lightweight gloves, some extra light clothing so I can add a layer or two if needed, extra aspirin, lightweight parachute cord, 2 big heavy black trashbags, a whistle, signal mirror, baby wipes, toilet paper, a multi-tool, maybe a few other odds and ends, and cell phone I leave in the truck because I can't get reception in the backcountry,.

It sounds like a lot but if you get the right gear my backcountry load out only weighs about 6 or 7 lbs plus the pack frame and the one I use is made out of lightweight aircraft aluminum so it only weighs about 2 lbs as well so figure about 10 lbs total. With this gear I can bone out game where it falls and get it out via the pack frame and I can and have comfortably gone up to 3 days without returning to the truck.

But, and this is a big but, I would not recommend a new hunter try to hunt in the manner I do in the backcountry. I've been doing it for years and was taught to hunt this way by my father and grandfather. It takes time to be able to get the skills to do that type of hunting.

Last edited by flags; 07-11-2015 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Typo correction
Old 07-11-2015, 01:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
Title lied.

All you really need to hunt deer is knowledge of the animal, habits and habitat.

A weapon, bow and arrows/ gun and ammo

small folding knife

drag rope and proper tags to be legal

And biggest most important is patience's

All that listed stuff is just sales crap.

Al

+1

Actually, my posts on this thread were intended to be funny...............
Old 07-12-2015, 03:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Ya all for got the truck and ATV with trailer to haul all that crap into the woods sheeza.

Al

Last edited by alleyyooper; 07-13-2015 at 04:40 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.