Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
youth gun Michigan south of M-57 >

youth gun Michigan south of M-57

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

youth gun Michigan south of M-57

Old 07-07-2015, 03:26 AM
Spike

Question youth gun Michigan south of M-57

I am an adult but have torn tendons in both shoulders, I have a crossbow I hunt with but would like a gun as well. From what I've read the most common kid guns (I think would have a low enough kick for my shoulders) are .243 and .270 but they are not allowed where our deer camp is. Anyone know a LOW kicking gun that you would feel confident wouldn't put a kid on their butt that is legal in that area?
Old 07-08-2015, 02:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

A muzzle loader (50 cal most popular) shooting a sabot with a pistol bullet with around 100 to 120gr of propellant, like triple 7. Recoil is more of a push with a muzzle loader.

I also use a Remington 870 slugger with kickese recoil pad 20ga. with 2 3/4 inch ammo that isn't bad.
I suggest you find a gun shop or a sports man club and see if some one will let you try out some thing similar. Maybe some kin folks have some thing you can try.

Al
Old 07-09-2015, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd definitely go with a 20 gauge or a muzzleloader. here's an article that might help:

http://www.fieldandstream.com/node/1005011213

I have a slip on recoil pad I use on a hard kicking rifle with a steel but plate. I cut out several pieces of neoprene from a piece of old fishing waders to put inside it and beef up the padding. No bruising or pain at all, though the pull length is maybe a bit more than it should be.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would also go with the ML and a good pad.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a 20 gauge savage 220f It has very low recoil and is extremely accurate.
Old 07-10-2015, 04:55 AM
Little Doe Peep

Wink

I'm very small, four foot seven, and 72 pounds, so recoil is a problem for me.

I shoot a .50 caliber Hawken style caplock, 75 grains of powder. I don't really feel any appreciable recoil.

I use .50 caliber "ballets" from Cabela's. They are bullet shaped pieces of lead, pre-lubricated instead of the patch and ball. They go in without a patch and are more accurate than patch and ball.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:59 PM
Spike

A 20gauge autoloader would be easy for you to use, low recoil and deadly accurate, the vary best to you this season from a fellow Michigan hunter !!!