Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Preventing Hornet's Nests in Stand >

Preventing Hornet's Nests in Stand

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Preventing Hornet's Nests in Stand

Old 07-06-2015, 06:07 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Default Preventing Hornet's Nests in Stand

In one old stand last year, I had a huge hornet's nest right below where I would normally sit! I did not use this stand and only came across this in October after the hornets were gone.

They start building their nest about now. What could I spray to deter them building the nest. Any suggestions? I would rather try to deter now rather than dealing with some huge nest later.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've sprayed out nests with automotive quick start (Ether) and never had them try and re-nest in that spot again. I tear the old nest out, just in case.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

They generally don't re nest at all because they die. The fertilized queen hibernates and starts all over again in the spring. The rest die.

If you can kill them that is even better though as they prey on our native bees which we already have a major shortage of.

They also won't nest near another nest.

You can buy fake nest to hang around your stand for about $10-15 the queen won't start her new nest around what she thinks is an existing nest.

The nest building started in spring though. Now is when they(the nests) start getting big enough to stand out not when she starts building it. So if she is going to build there she is already started.

Last edited by rockport; 07-06-2015 at 10:16 AM.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ha, you carry a stand that day

with no hornet's nest in it.

Of course, I have the bad habit of not leaving stands in the tree overnight.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had to take out half a dozen nests within maybe 15 feet (wide) of attic space. I always assumed they use the same nest year to year because of the size difference of the nests. Some of the nests were kind of huge, while others you could hold in one hand. Some were abandoned and some were active.

I've found nothing better than Ether trying to deal with them.

I've sprayed out a nest with a commercial product and had them try to rebuild in the same spot or nearly in the same spot.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

There are all kinds of hornets and wasp and they build different types of nest.

This is a bald face hornet nest, they like yellow jackets and most others die after the first frost. This type of nest is also a prize to some muzzle loader shooters as the nest material is good stuff to put between the round ball/bullet and powder.

This one we call long legs because it's legs hang down in flight.

It's nest looks like this.

They all have some beneficial quality's, just how much can you deal with?

I have never seen a nest built in the same spot one had been before ever.

Al
Old 07-07-2015, 06:19 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by alleyyooper

They all have some beneficial quality's, just how much can you deal with?
Al
I can appreciate their benefits on my neighbors property just fine
Old 07-07-2015, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I tolerate them to a point. Until they get dangerous. I had a giant nest in the attic right above my bedroom window, Sorry but they had to go.

I had another in an outside cabinet right next to the front door of the house. We learned in a hurry not to slam the door. Sorry but they had to go.

I had another in my trash trailer, under the cover. I found that one the hard way. For an old guy, I can move pretty darned fast if I'm properly motivated.

They are protected here. If whomever wrote that law wants them, I'd be happy to relocate my nests to their bedroom.
Old 07-07-2015, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

foaming bee spray, paste the whole shut with the first blast, coat the nest, they are done. I will not tolerate bees close to where I spend time, they hafta go, yellowjackets in the ground, a pint of gas works wonders.
RR
Old 07-07-2015, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
foaming bee spray, paste the whole shut with the first blast, coat the nest, they are done. I will not tolerate bees close to where I spend time, they hafta go, yellowjackets in the ground, a pint of gas works wonders.
RR
May want to switch that to Kerosene unless you want to go without eyebrows and have a receding hairline before your time

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.