HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Best rifled slugs for Deer hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/399604-best-rifled-slugs-deer-hunting.html)

NYlongbeards 06-02-2015 09:45 PM

Best rifled slugs for Deer hunting

I've got a Mossberg 500 20 ga smoothbore and been using the remington slugs with ok groups at 50 yards, i've yet to try a diffrent brand of slugs. i heard about the brenneke but its hard for me to get them cause i cant get them shipped to my house (NYS laws :rant:) and i can't imagine paying 2 $ a slug when a classic foster will do just as good at 75 yards. what rifled slug brand do you like best, has anyone tried those Win Rackmaster slugs or the Federal power-shok slugs.
Thanks

super_hunt54 06-02-2015 10:26 PM

Have you thought about getting a rifled barrel for that Mossy? You will end up with twice as much accurate range if not more and they aren't that expensive. You can pick them up new for around $150-$200 (150 without the cantilever).

NYlongbeards 06-02-2015 11:37 PM

Yeah I had one but sold it for turkey hunting gear, didn't want to go through the troubles of getting a scope and trying to zero it in and paying 30 dollars for box of 5 shells, besides I've had no problem with slugs killed plenty of deer with them. just want opinions from others what brands they used and liked best.

alleyyooper 06-03-2015 03:25 AM

I use 2 3/4" Remington Buck Hammers in my 870 slugger. Can't buy them any longer so have switch to reloading my own.
Heard good reviews on the Federal power shocks.

:D Al

Major Woods 06-03-2015 04:35 AM

I've had good luck with the Remington slugs but Trueball slugs had the best accuracy.
Try out several different brands, and switch to the one your gun like the best.

Sheridan 06-03-2015 08:39 AM

These have been one of the leading slug companies for years - Proven track record !!!

http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/

muzzlestuffer 06-03-2015 04:07 PM

if you can get the rifled barrel i would. and i used to use remmington copper solids 2-3/4 when i lived in buffalo shot many deer and they are devestating rounds on deer.i used to shoot nuisance deer on a farm and shot a lot of deer with slugs as that was the only gun the dec wanted me to shoot other than my muzzleloader around all the houses. they are exspensive just like all the ammo now a days but you will not need many rounds once you are sighted in.

uncle matt 06-07-2015 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by NYlongbeards (Post 4200555)
Yeah I had one but sold it for turkey hunting gear, didn't want to go through the troubles of getting a scope and trying to zero it in and paying 30 dollars for box of 5 shells, besides I've had no problem with slugs killed plenty of deer with them. just want opinions from others what brands they used and liked best.

U don't need to spend that kind of money. Avoid the latest hyped up slugs claiming all kinds of things. I will guarantee u right now that with ur smooth ore barrel Brenneke KO slugs will give u a much appreciated pattern.

If you go with a rifled barrel u will be even more impressed. I have never went for the expensive sabot slugs in our rifled barrel
H & R ultra slug hunters. We get awesome accuracy and knockdown from Brenneke rifled slugs. I drop deer like a bag on cement with them!

KOs are cheap and the nice
2-3/4" mags are like 10 a box.

Good hunting.

jepcho 06-07-2015 07:50 PM

Another vote for brenneke here. I have shot the KOs and love them

alleyyooper 06-08-2015 02:24 AM

Reduce your cost and roll your own.

http://slugsrus.com/

:D Al

BOWHUNTERCOP 06-13-2015 07:19 AM

I agree with others a rifled/cantilever barrel, but I also understand your decision.....Try the Federal Vital Shok Trueball Slugs

skiftcky 10-05-2015 04:40 AM

Good thread, I just bought a rifled slug bbl for my mossberg 500 so I can take it out of mothballs, (was my first duck hunter) I was looking for a good thread on what slug to use and between here and other sites, it seems like Brenneke takes the top spot.

Bocajnala 10-05-2015 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by uncle matt (Post 4201395)
U don't need to spend that kind of money. Avoid the latest hyped up slugs claiming all kinds of things. I will guarantee u right now that with ur smooth ore barrel Brenneke KO slugs will give u a much appreciated pattern.

If you go with a rifled barrel u will be even more impressed. I have never went for the expensive sabot slugs in our rifled barrel
H & R ultra slug hunters. We get awesome accuracy and knockdown from Brenneke rifled slugs. I drop deer like a bag on cement with them!

KOs are cheap and the nice
2-3/4" mags are like 10 a box.

Good hunting.

I will have to give those a try in my rifled barrel...
-Jake

rockport 10-05-2015 05:22 AM

I'd say if you are paying $30 for a box of 5 slugs the first step is finding a new place to do your shopping.

BIG TUNA 10-05-2015 04:59 PM

I am more than happy with Remington 3" Mag Sluggers. Tried a variety and always go back to these. Even the Remington High Velocity version didn't shot well for me. Disappointed with Winchester Rack Master too. Use your loosest choke. Cylinder or Improved Cylinder at best. Once you go to Modified or Full (which you shouldn't), then the significantly throws out the aim. I think it shaves some lead off and flings it to a new angle. At 75 yards a Modified choke would make it shoot greater than 1 foot groups. With improved choke I get 2 to 3 inch groups consistently at 100 yards. Basic Remington 3" Mag Sluggers so far is the only brand my gun shoots good groups. I do have a shotgun scope on the gun. Buy several boxes when on sale, barely a buck a shot. Never lost a deer with them. Twice I hit the heart at 110 yards (right where I was aiming). Hit them in the heart many times at shorter ranges too. All other brands including High Velocity Remington Sluggers have disappointing groups in my gun. Try a box of each and see what works for you. Just don't use them all on the same weekend.

MaineRida 10-05-2015 05:57 PM

I have found that slug guns are like most rifles, you can shoot multiple brands of shells good, a couple bad, and one or two real good. I believe it is worth the testing.
I have an Ithaca deer slayer II 12ga rifled and it loves the brenneke. I have a TC Encore 20 ga. Rifled and it loves the Remmington copper solids. Both are devastating with proper shot placement.

Valentine 10-06-2015 04:15 AM

The trouble with the best...

is it might not be any better than what you're using. If it worked as good as you needed, what do you need as better. Why start spending more money or buying new hunting products. They might only increase the price you're paying .
I've used the same bullets for some 20 years. Worked good the first year; worked good the last year. I never got excited about the best bullet. Too much today about the BEST.
And yes some people start looking for the best. Some just haven't taken the time to practice with the first load and start looking for their "loading" problem. Practice usually takes care of any loading problems. For some it becomes an "it" problem instead of a "me" problem.

Bocajnala 10-07-2015 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Valentine (Post 4222044)
is it might not be any better than what you're using. If it worked as good as you needed, what do you need as better. Why start spending more money or buying new hunting products. They might only increase the price you're paying .
I've used the same bullets for some 20 years. Worked good the first year; worked good the last year. I never got excited about the best bullet. Too much today about the BEST.
And yes some people start looking for the best. Some just haven't taken the time to practice with the first load and start looking for their "loading" problem. Practice usually takes care of any loading problems. For some it becomes an "it" problem instead of a "me" problem.

There's allot of truth in that post.
-Jake

rockport 10-07-2015 09:36 AM

Rifled slugs will lead foul your rifled barrel. There is a reason rifle bullets don't have rifling. The rifling in your barrel will shave lead off of rifled slugs leaving the shavings in your barrel.

Rifled slugs are not designed to spin in your barrel. The fins are designed so they will smash and fit through the smooth barrel.

If the slug is rifled the barrel shouldn't be rifled. If the barrel is rifled the slug shouldn't be rifled.

I don't see the big deal. After initial sight in the right slugs are not that expensive.

If you don't want the added expense of Sabot slugs why in the world would you pay the extra money for a barrel that is designed to shoot them?

Ive never seen a rifled barrel shoot a rifled slug like my gun will shoot a sabot

There is no "best slug" only a best slug for a specific gun. Mine happens to be Remington accutips a couple guys I shoot with who have the same gun......theirs prefer Hornady sst

uncle matt 10-08-2015 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by rockport (Post 4222239)
Rifled slugs will lead foul your rifled barrel. There is a reason rifle bullets don't have rifling. The rifling in your barrel will shave lead off of rifled slugs leaving the shavings in your barrel.

How did the old cowboys keep the barrels of their rifles from getting fouled? All they had to shoot were cast lead bullets and didn't have any Nitro solvent.

rockport 10-08-2015 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by uncle matt (Post 4222381)
How did the old cowboys keep the barrels of their rifles from getting fouled? All they had to shoot were cast lead bullets and didn't have any Nitro solvent.

I'm sure they did get fouled but Were the barrels and slugs both rifled?

Like I said rifled slugs are designed to give....that is why they are rifled. The rifling helps them squeeze though a smooth bore barrel. The rifling acts to make them more universal and fit through multiple chokes etc. When you shoot one through rifling it is going to leave lead behind..

Even the old cowboys used smooth projectiles in rifled barrels as far as I know or even smooth projectile through smooth barrels as rifles don't have chokes there was no need to put fins on the projectile to make it squeeze through multiple chokes.

Brenneke slugs fly better because they have better weight distribution. Rifled slugs get their flight from their weight forward design not the rifling and Brenneke takes that weight distribution to a level above most other rifled slugs.

The bottom line is the rifled slugs will work through rifled or smooth bore barrels although they will likely lead foul a rifled barrel and likely not shoot any better than they would in the much cheaper smooth bore barrel they were designed for.

A Sabot shot through a smooth bore will be terrible and a sabot shot through a rifled barrel will out perform the rifled slugs in either barrel.

MaineRida 10-08-2015 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by rockport (Post 4222389)

The bottom line is the rifled slugs will work through rifled or smooth bore barrels although they will likely lead foul a rifled barrel and likely not shoot any better than they would in the much cheaper smooth bore barrel they were designed for.

A Sabot shot through a smooth bore will be terrible and a sabot shot through a rifled barrel will out perform the rifled slugs in either barrel.

Couldn't agree more or have stated it better.

uncle matt 10-08-2015 08:56 PM

I think I'm biased due to my personal experiences with all of my H&R USHs. I bought the first in 1995(?) and shot Remington Copper Solids. It took a lot of slugs to get it dialed in. It would shoot pretty well but getting a big ragged hole from 5 at 100 - 150 just never happened. They killed deer real fine cuz they hit the vital area.

I tried some Brenneke Gold Magnums and my groups were outstanding. Ragged holes became reality. Putting deer down with these was awesome. They hit really hard and I could really deliver a shot where I wanted to. I never went back and my old barrel looks like new. There is no fouling in there and I have never had struggle to clean it or use any special solvents to release lead.

Over the years I have bought 3 more H&R USHs giving me 2 12 gauges and 2 20 gauges. They are all shooting Brenneke and shooting fantastic. In 2007 H&R went to the Ultragon rifling which doesn't have the sharp edges on the rifling and there are 6 lands/grooves and a 1:23" twist. They clean right up too.

Anyhoo. Bottom line is finding whatever each gun fires the most accurately and stick with it. I get a real snicker when guys want to switch to "that new slug" every year or 2(usually a sabot). Advertised as faster......more accurate......more powerful......more knockdown......more money and they usually get all frustrated with worse results from their previous choice.

rockport 10-09-2015 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by uncle matt (Post 4222442)
I think I'm biased due to my personal experiences with all of my H&R USHs. I bought the first in 1995(?) and shot Remington Copper Solids. It took a lot of slugs to get it dialed in. It would shoot pretty well but getting a big ragged hole from 5 at 100 - 150 just never happened. They killed deer real fine cuz they hit the vital area.

I tried some Brenneke Gold Magnums and my groups were outstanding. Ragged holes became reality. Putting deer down with these was awesome. They hit really hard and I could really deliver a shot where I wanted to. I never went back and my old barrel looks like new. There is no fouling in there and I have never had struggle to clean it or use any special solvents to release lead.

Over the years I have bought 3 more H&R USHs giving me 2 12 gauges and 2 20 gauges. They are all shooting Brenneke and shooting fantastic. In 2007 H&R went to the Ultragon rifling which doesn't have the sharp edges on the rifling and there are 6 lands/grooves and a 1:23" twist. They clean right up too.

Anyhoo. Bottom line is finding whatever each gun fires the most accurately and stick with it. I get a real snicker when guys want to switch to "that new slug" every year or 2(usually a sabot). Advertised as faster......more accurate......more powerful......more knockdown......more money and they usually get all frustrated with worse results from their previous choice.

Are you telling me you bought 4 slug guns and all 4 shoot sub MOA with rifled slugs?

uncle matt 10-14-2015 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by rockport (Post 4222463)
Are you telling me you bought 4 slug guns and all 4 shoot sub MOA with rifled slugs?

Not exactly sure what MOA or sub MOA means. I think it means all right in the same hole light Robin Hooding an arrow. That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying they all hit close enough to each other to make a hole similar to this first picture. Doesn't happen every single time. Some days you shoot worse or better than others but those are the results the guns are giving. This is mot my picture just one grabbed off internet for an example. And yes sometimes they don't all connect and look like the second picture. Again this is pulled from internet. Pay no attention to whatever is printed on it. The guns are all very capable of absolutely fantastic groups with Brenneke slugs, it is just up to the shooter.

Listen. I don't know what your deal is but I posted here with the intention of offering what I feel is a superb slug, safe for rifled barrels (per info of unquestionably highly experienced and knowledgeable manufacturer) that are more reasonably priced than sabots and offer a gigantic whallop.

People can take what I offered and check it out for themselves if they would like if they feel it is something they might benefit from.

I'm not going to be part of a presidential debate about this with you. I'm not leaving this thread mad, I'm just leaving it. I'll gladly discuss other subjects or topics.

Good hunting.

rockport 10-14-2015 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by uncle matt (Post 4223250)
Not exactly sure what MOA or sub MOA means. I think it means all right in the same hole light Robin Hooding an arrow. That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying they all hit close enough to each other to make a hole similar to this first picture. Doesn't happen every single time. Some days you shoot worse or better than others but those are the results the guns are giving. This is mot my picture just one grabbed off internet for an example. And yes sometimes they don't all connect and look like the second picture. Again this is pulled from internet. Pay no attention to whatever is printed on it. The guns are all very capable of absolutely fantastic groups with Brenneke slugs, it is just up to the shooter.

Listen. I don't know what your deal is but I posted here with the intention of offering what I feel is a superb slug, safe for rifled barrels (per info of unquestionably highly experienced and knowledgeable manufacturer) that are more reasonably priced than sabots and offer a gigantic whallop.

People can take what I offered and check it out for themselves if they would like if they feel it is something they might benefit from.

I'm not going to be part of a presidential debate about this with you. I'm not leaving this thread mad, I'm just leaving it. I'll gladly discuss other subjects or topics.

Good hunting.

I don't have a "deal" I don't know why you would leave this thread mad or at all. I just ask a question to make sure we are on the same page here.

Sub MOA means 3 shot groups fall within an inch at 100 yards.

The bottom picture is more what I would expect from rifled slugs 2.5 inches at 50 yards although better results are very possible at that range.

Buying 4 guns and all four shooting sub moa with rifled slugs would amaze me as I'm not sure Ive ever seen a single slug gun do that.

win94 10-17-2015 01:46 PM

ive always heard people rave about challenger slugs. But as with any gun, you have to try and see which your gun prefers most: how they pattern as well as feed