Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Best rifled slugs for Deer hunting >

Best rifled slugs for Deer hunting

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best rifled slugs for Deer hunting

Old 06-13-2015, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with others a rifled/cantilever barrel, but I also understand your decision.....Try the Federal Vital Shok Trueball Slugs
Old 10-05-2015, 04:40 AM
Fork Horn

Good thread, I just bought a rifled slug bbl for my mossberg 500 so I can take it out of mothballs, (was my first duck hunter) I was looking for a good thread on what slug to use and between here and other sites, it seems like Brenneke takes the top spot.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:13 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by uncle matt
U don't need to spend that kind of money. Avoid the latest hyped up slugs claiming all kinds of things. I will guarantee u right now that with ur smooth ore barrel Brenneke KO slugs will give u a much appreciated pattern.

If you go with a rifled barrel u will be even more impressed. I have never went for the expensive sabot slugs in our rifled barrel
H & R ultra slug hunters. We get awesome accuracy and knockdown from Brenneke rifled slugs. I drop deer like a bag on cement with them!

KOs are cheap and the nice
2-3/4" mags are like 10 a box.

Good hunting.

I will have to give those a try in my rifled barrel...
-Jake
Old 10-05-2015, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd say if you are paying $30 for a box of 5 slugs the first step is finding a new place to do your shopping.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

I am more than happy with Remington 3" Mag Sluggers. Tried a variety and always go back to these. Even the Remington High Velocity version didn't shot well for me. Disappointed with Winchester Rack Master too. Use your loosest choke. Cylinder or Improved Cylinder at best. Once you go to Modified or Full (which you shouldn't), then the significantly throws out the aim. I think it shaves some lead off and flings it to a new angle. At 75 yards a Modified choke would make it shoot greater than 1 foot groups. With improved choke I get 2 to 3 inch groups consistently at 100 yards. Basic Remington 3" Mag Sluggers so far is the only brand my gun shoots good groups. I do have a shotgun scope on the gun. Buy several boxes when on sale, barely a buck a shot. Never lost a deer with them. Twice I hit the heart at 110 yards (right where I was aiming). Hit them in the heart many times at shorter ranges too. All other brands including High Velocity Remington Sluggers have disappointing groups in my gun. Try a box of each and see what works for you. Just don't use them all on the same weekend.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:57 PM
Fork Horn

I have found that slug guns are like most rifles, you can shoot multiple brands of shells good, a couple bad, and one or two real good. I believe it is worth the testing.
I have an Ithaca deer slayer II 12ga rifled and it loves the brenneke. I have a TC Encore 20 ga. Rifled and it loves the Remmington copper solids. Both are devastating with proper shot placement.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default The trouble with the best...

is it might not be any better than what you're using. If it worked as good as you needed, what do you need as better. Why start spending more money or buying new hunting products. They might only increase the price you're paying .
I've used the same bullets for some 20 years. Worked good the first year; worked good the last year. I never got excited about the best bullet. Too much today about the BEST.
And yes some people start looking for the best. Some just haven't taken the time to practice with the first load and start looking for their "loading" problem. Practice usually takes care of any loading problems. For some it becomes an "it" problem instead of a "me" problem.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Valentine
is it might not be any better than what you're using. If it worked as good as you needed, what do you need as better. Why start spending more money or buying new hunting products. They might only increase the price you're paying .
I've used the same bullets for some 20 years. Worked good the first year; worked good the last year. I never got excited about the best bullet. Too much today about the BEST.
And yes some people start looking for the best. Some just haven't taken the time to practice with the first load and start looking for their "loading" problem. Practice usually takes care of any loading problems. For some it becomes an "it" problem instead of a "me" problem.
There's allot of truth in that post.
-Jake
Old 10-07-2015, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rifled slugs will lead foul your rifled barrel. There is a reason rifle bullets don't have rifling. The rifling in your barrel will shave lead off of rifled slugs leaving the shavings in your barrel.

Rifled slugs are not designed to spin in your barrel. The fins are designed so they will smash and fit through the smooth barrel.

If the slug is rifled the barrel shouldn't be rifled. If the barrel is rifled the slug shouldn't be rifled.

I don't see the big deal. After initial sight in the right slugs are not that expensive.

If you don't want the added expense of Sabot slugs why in the world would you pay the extra money for a barrel that is designed to shoot them?

Ive never seen a rifled barrel shoot a rifled slug like my gun will shoot a sabot

There is no "best slug" only a best slug for a specific gun. Mine happens to be Remington accutips a couple guys I shoot with who have the same gun......theirs prefer Hornady sst

Last edited by rockport; 10-07-2015 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by rockport
Rifled slugs will lead foul your rifled barrel. There is a reason rifle bullets don't have rifling. The rifling in your barrel will shave lead off of rifled slugs leaving the shavings in your barrel.
How did the old cowboys keep the barrels of their rifles from getting fouled? All they had to shoot were cast lead bullets and didn't have any Nitro solvent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.