Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Best rifled slugs for Deer hunting >

Best rifled slugs for Deer hunting

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best rifled slugs for Deer hunting

Old 06-02-2015, 09:45 PM
Spike

Default Best rifled slugs for Deer hunting

I've got a Mossberg 500 20 ga smoothbore and been using the remington slugs with ok groups at 50 yards, i've yet to try a diffrent brand of slugs. i heard about the brenneke but its hard for me to get them cause i cant get them shipped to my house (NYS laws ) and i can't imagine paying 2 $ a slug when a classic foster will do just as good at 75 yards. what rifled slug brand do you like best, has anyone tried those Win Rackmaster slugs or the Federal power-shok slugs.
Thanks
Old 06-02-2015, 10:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have you thought about getting a rifled barrel for that Mossy? You will end up with twice as much accurate range if not more and they aren't that expensive. You can pick them up new for around $150-$200 (150 without the cantilever).
Old 06-02-2015, 11:37 PM
Spike

Yeah I had one but sold it for turkey hunting gear, didn't want to go through the troubles of getting a scope and trying to zero it in and paying 30 dollars for box of 5 shells, besides I've had no problem with slugs killed plenty of deer with them. just want opinions from others what brands they used and liked best.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I use 2 3/4" Remington Buck Hammers in my 870 slugger. Can't buy them any longer so have switch to reloading my own.
Heard good reviews on the Federal power shocks.

Al
Old 06-03-2015, 04:35 AM
Fork Horn

I've had good luck with the Remington slugs but Trueball slugs had the best accuracy.
Try out several different brands, and switch to the one your gun like the best.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

These have been one of the leading slug companies for years - Proven track record !!!

http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/
Old 06-03-2015, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

if you can get the rifled barrel i would. and i used to use remmington copper solids 2-3/4 when i lived in buffalo shot many deer and they are devestating rounds on deer.i used to shoot nuisance deer on a farm and shot a lot of deer with slugs as that was the only gun the dec wanted me to shoot other than my muzzleloader around all the houses. they are exspensive just like all the ammo now a days but you will not need many rounds once you are sighted in.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by NYlongbeards
Yeah I had one but sold it for turkey hunting gear, didn't want to go through the troubles of getting a scope and trying to zero it in and paying 30 dollars for box of 5 shells, besides I've had no problem with slugs killed plenty of deer with them. just want opinions from others what brands they used and liked best.
U don't need to spend that kind of money. Avoid the latest hyped up slugs claiming all kinds of things. I will guarantee u right now that with ur smooth ore barrel Brenneke KO slugs will give u a much appreciated pattern.

If you go with a rifled barrel u will be even more impressed. I have never went for the expensive sabot slugs in our rifled barrel
H & R ultra slug hunters. We get awesome accuracy and knockdown from Brenneke rifled slugs. I drop deer like a bag on cement with them!

KOs are cheap and the nice
2-3/4" mags are like 10 a box.

Good hunting.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another vote for brenneke here. I have shot the KOs and love them
Old 06-08-2015, 02:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Reduce your cost and roll your own.

http://slugsrus.com/

Al

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.