Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Advice on new property

Old 06-07-2015, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
The one on the left or the one on the right, LOL?!!! That certainly is a good one and you can see how the front points splay out to describe what Oldtimr was saying.
I don't see many at all like the websites sample picture. Yearling tracks look like that. A lot of things are very regional though.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mickey Finn
I'd be happy to see a few of those on the way to the stand.
Ive leased this property to a guy. I'm exited for him to get in and see it for himself. A lot of what IMO are basically scammers in my area bringing in hunter after hunter after hunter. I think this guy will be exited to see that what he paid for is as advertised and not just a money trap like so many.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by rockport
That is VERY good.....A faint trail tucked the furthest back in the woods with tracks like that in it. That is very good.
That's for sure, as a good buck normally doesn't travel on the main paths that smaller deer are using even during the rut. He'll go downwind most of the time during the rut to try and catch the scent of an estrus doe.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
That's for sure, as a good buck normally doesn't travel on the main paths that smaller deer are using even during the rut. He'll go downwind most of the time during the rut to try and catch the scent of an estrus doe.
Almost exclusively from my experience.

Deer with antlers rarely live 5+ years walking down beaten trails.

The big trick is don't mess it up. I know that is boring compared to a list of tactics that claim to land him in your lap but it is reality. The list of what not to do is far more important than the what to do list.

Agriculture type stuff should be fine though.....Mowing,planting, etc
Old 06-11-2015, 07:11 AM
Spike

I'm trying to post a picture of this property, but I am not very good with technology.

I'm not sure how to make it bigger, but that is the basic outline of my property. The other sectioned off area towards the bottom is that area thick with pines, where the deer already bed.

All the white marks are places I saw deer last year while I was hunting.
Attached Thumbnails Advice on new property-untitled2.jpg  

Last edited by Jasper912; 06-11-2015 at 07:13 AM.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:15 AM
Spike

will pecan and acorn trees grow where you live?..maybe blackberry vines

i dont know what height you keep the areas mowed.but you might go with the tallest height to give the deer that much more to eat
Old 07-11-2015, 07:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Actually, new growth after a mowing is more palable to deer and is more nutricious.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:04 AM
Spike

on 90 acres concentrate on cover! Cover and small clover plots are what you need to invest your time and money in.
http://www.buckadvisor.com/2776/cove...over-property/