Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What is your favorite or craziest "hunting story" ?? >

What is your favorite or craziest "hunting story" ??

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What is your favorite or craziest "hunting story" ??

Old 05-27-2015, 08:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default What is your favorite or craziest "hunting story" ??

...so lets hear some fun or crazy hunting stories? What's that big story you tell around the campfire?

Let's hear some stories!

Mine comes from 2013. I shot a 9-point buck while checking my trail camera during opening day. I had gotten cold on my treestand, did some ground hunting, and figured while I was passing by my trail camera that I would swap the memory card out.

After I had gotten the new memory card into the camera, turned it on, and was putting it back into it's lock-box, I heard something over my shoulder and behind me..... it was a buck.... at 25 yards walking towards me.

I set the camera down slowly, turned, leaned to have a clear shot around a tree that was between myself & this deer & fired! Go figure, the trail camera was on video mode and caught it all!

I don't think I'll ever have anything like this happen again! You can see what the camera captured here:

....what is your hunting story, tall tale, or adventure?
Old 05-27-2015, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ahh 2 lessons in that story. #1) Always dress warm enough for a long sit in the stand. #2) ALWAYS be prepared ad deer can appear from nowhere!
Old 05-27-2015, 01:13 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Ahh 2 lessons in that story. #1) Always dress warm enough for a long sit in the stand. #2) ALWAYS be prepared ad deer can appear from nowhere!
Opening day that year was bitterly cold with a harsh wind. It was terrible.

I had more layers on than I normally did during the "holiday hunt" seasons in the middle of winter, and I still got cold.
Old 05-27-2015, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Long but really is the condensed version ... while walking out of a south La. swamp winter of 1972, after a successful wood duck roost hunt behind a family friend's sugar house, I stepped around an sprawling live oak that had grown up in the middle of a 100+ year old dike. That dike was part of a pond bank that held waste water from a mom & pop surgar house. I had killed a large water mocassin on that dike on my way in that afternoon and was already edgy.

i took about 2 steps and then heard a screech, wing flaps and felt something cold and wet fall down in the back of my hunting coat. It was scratching me to pieces. I panicked. Took a hard left and ran screaming straight into the holding pond which that time of year was about 4' deep in soured "sugar water" that had been piped there from washing off the bagasse .... stinky as a muddy hog pen.

Slugging my way, over waste deep in this mess, I stripped off my coat to find a large and mangled up bull frog. After recovering my senses, my coat and my ducks, I slopped to the bank where I was greated by my brother and one of my buds who had heard the hollering. When we got to the truck, I stripped out of the stinking clothes, rode home in my drawers ... hoping not to get pulled over !! We three had a big laugh all the way home.

Cleaned the ducks and my brother hosed me down before taking a hot shower. In fact wife would not let me in the house until I was hosed off !! Man I stunk !!! Afterward, we all sat around and had a toddy ... still laughing about the "attack of the flying frog".

We think that an owl or hawk had caught that frog for supper .... it was sitting in one of the low limbs of the old oak. I spooked the bird and it dropped the frog as it flew off. Talk about timing !!
Old 05-27-2015, 04:28 PM
Fork Horn

LOL.... what a story!
Old 05-27-2015, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

That was a good one Mojotex. We have a few guys in deer camp that always complain that theres no deer around and they never get one. We have a saying that we always tell them, "You can't get a buck in the Bar" Yet, they spend most of the hunting season drinking and complaining year after year. Anyway a few years back i was sitting in a bar mid season, after i already had 2 deer in the freezer, and a bud was complaining about a guy that left a registered deer on his meat pole and went back to Madison. It was warm out and he was worried it might spoil. I said i'll take it, so he called the guy, and i got it. So i guess you can "get a buck in the Bar". The basket rack is proudly mounted behind my basement bar.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

The great squirrel hunter

My brother and I decided to try out a different wood lot for bow deer hunting on a Friday night. Saturday morning found us packing our climbing deer stands to that woods and finding what we felt was our sweet spot. There were a couple of saddles between the cedar swamp and a low muddy area that were wore down with deer trails going to the corn field a couple thousand yards behind us. We decided to only hunt till noon then go get something to eat and do some grouse hunting that morning then return about 3:30 in the afternoon.
Afternoon came and we got in our stands just about 3:30 as planned. I had sat in mine about a hour when a squirrel decided it was going to come up my tree and sit on my stand with me. I kicked it off and the dumb thing came right back up to once again get kicked off. This time it stayed on the ground just raising holy hell. Making all kinds of whining complaints to the whole world and everything in the woods for about 100 miles, I finally had enough and got the bow from the hanger drew a bead on that tree rat and let the arrow go. The arrow hit just a bit off center in the middle of the body and stuck in the ground about a foot it looked like. That squirrel lay there so still I figured I could now sit in peace and not have all that noise to scare the deer away. Next thing I know that squirrel has come alive and is running around that arrow trying to get loose and raising all sorts of hell. Finally I give up and climb down grab a good healthy club laying nearby grab that arrow with the squirrel and give it a good heavy whack upside the head. Stuck the squirrel and arrow in a tree without trying to remove it and climb back up the tree. I don’t think it was even a half hour and that squirrel is alive again and rising cane again trying to get out of that tree crotch and off the arrow. By now it is nearly dark and it is crazy to expect any self-respecting deer to use that trail with all the racket being raised so I once again climb down and had decided to stay down and wait for my brother. I clobber that squirrel several times with that club hoping I had taken the last of its 9 lives.
Finally I see the tiny flash of Robs pen lite bobbing thru the woods. He gets where I am and asked if I was cutting timber for a logging company withal the racket I had made. I tell him about the squirrel and all the trouble I had with it.
He in turn told the story to all our friends and it took me many a year to shed the title the great squirrel bow hunter.

Al
Old 05-28-2015, 04:38 AM
Banned

was once caught with my pants down, purging bowels when a 4x4 appeared a couple hundred yards away on the ridge across from me. I quickly buckled up grabbed my gun and shot him. field dressed and packed him to my truck. took a few hours and only when I reached my truck did I realize I never did purge and no longer felt the need to.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:54 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by kidoggy
was once caught with my pants down, purging bowels when a 4x4 appeared a couple hundred yards away on the ridge across from me. I quickly buckled up grabbed my gun and shot him. field dressed and packed him to my truck. took a few hours and only when I reached my truck did I realize I never did purge and no longer felt the need to.
I was disappointed I didn't need meat after my opening day kill in 2013, otherwise I would have shot a doe with my pants down. Got down to piss, and as soon as I let the stream fly about 8 of them came running through 15 yards out from where I was standing.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

I once shot 2 whitetail bucks with one bullet. Never even knew the 2nd one was there until I walked up on them. One was a 6 pt and the other was a 7 pt. Thankfully I had tags for both and it was legal to take 2 in one day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.