Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Any tips on a tree stand selection >

Any tips on a tree stand selection

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I suggest putting the stand in a tree the deer like to walk under! LOL
Old 04-29-2015, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WVUHunter
I weigh about 250
Then you would need a stand rated for 300 if you add weight for clothing and gear. Granted, the rates for stands are under-estimated by a good deal I am sure but being 20+ feet up in a tree is not where I would suggest TESTING just how far that rate is under-estimated
Old 05-05-2015, 10:38 AM
Spike

dont do what I did and put one under a giant hornet nest.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like Amazon, however please don't silhouette yourself! our you will shoot NOTHING.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Summit is a solid brand of climbers. I have been able to sit from before dawn to dusk in them. That has proved useful in scoring whitetails one many occasions. As I got a tad older and much lazier I prefer ladder stands and only break out the climber if I need to mix it up.

My stubborn father uses a tree lounge, I offer to buy him a summit but it is too unstable he says. It is 4x comfortable than anything else but 50 pounds is alot to haul. I think it doubling as a wheeled deer cart makes it worthwhile.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Seems to be getting tougher...

To find a tree stand that doesn't hold 300 or 350 pounds. And how long does a tree climber last, who needs a 300 or 350 pound tree stand.
Of course, tree stands use to be made to carry it to one tree, then to another tree, then to another tree. Use to be a climber had to get in shape to carry a treestand.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Valentine
To find a tree stand that doesn't hold 300 or 350 pounds. And how long does a tree climber last, who needs a 300 or 350 pound tree stand.
Of course, tree stands use to be made to carry it to one tree, then to another tree, then to another tree. Use to be a climber had to get in shape to carry a treestand.
Valentine, not all people that weigh 250+ pounds are "out of shape"! Some men, me included, are just Tall, big men. At 65 the Doc, who I have recently had to see a LOT of since I took a bad fall off a ladder, said I was in better shape than a lot of 20 year olds he see's. Other than the mangled up knee, fractured hip, and busted up ribs of course
Old 06-24-2015, 04:43 AM
Spike

GET THE SUMMIT VIPER SD, its the most comfortable stand i have ever had