Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Indiana rifle calibers

Old 04-16-2015, 05:45 AM
Spike

Default Indiana rifle calibers

Does anyone know if Indiana added to their list of legal rifle cals for deer? I know they were considering it.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

The proposal for changes, including allowing centerfire rifles of .243 and larger for deer, is to be voted on by the Commission late next month. If approved, it then has to go to both the AG and Governor for final approval and they would be allowed this coming Fall.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Handguns firing rifle calibers have been legal for years. If I lived in IN I'd get a T/C Contender or Encore and a barrel for something along the lines of a 7mm-08 and go forth to slay whitetails. Such a rig is accurate to over 200 yards and will cleanly take any deer alive and you don't have to wait for the law to change.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by flags
Handguns firing rifle calibers have been legal for years. If I lived in IN I'd get a T/C Contender or Encore and a barrel for something along the lines of a 7mm-08 and go forth to slay whitetails. Such a rig is accurate to over 200 yards and will cleanly take any deer alive and you don't have to wait for the law to change.

There is really no need for that, since he's talking rifles, some of which have already been legal the last few years. Now everything .243 and bigger will be allowed for the upcoming season under the proposal that the DNR has posted on the net.

PS: I love you new tagline, LOL!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 04-16-2015 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-16-2015, 08:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
There is really no need for that, since he's talking rifles, some of which have already been legal the last few years. Now everything .243 and bigger will be allowed for the upcoming season under the proposal that the DNR has posted on the net.

PS: I love you new tagline, LOL!
There is an "if" attached to the upcoming season since a proposal isn't always adopted. But the handgun will be legal either way. I've got a T/C Contender with a 7mmTCU barrel and it has tipped over several deer.

As to the tagline, I figured it was appropriate for at least a year.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

That "if", although there, is very, very small when the DNR has proposed what was stated in the rules changes and their Commission is the one doing the voting and it's already been out for public scrutiny and comment! The rules then go to the AG as a legal formality just to insure the Is are dotted and the Ts crossed and then the Governor signs off on them, which is another minor formality.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rifles firing pistol cartridges are legal as well. 50 beowolf, 458 SOCOM, .45 Long Colt, .44mag all are pretty good deer droppers. Only drawback is the limited range for them. I really wouldn't try a shot past 100 with them except maybe the .458 SOCOM which I wouldn't go past 150 with that. And that would certainly be relative to the rifle itself.

As far as the proposal, Top is correct. It's pretty much just going to be a formality. Most everyone knows that rifle caliber restriction both in Indiana and Illinois is all political without any true legal or scientific basis for it's induction. It's was brought on by the "anti's" and stuck around. Glad to see some actual common sense has entered into the arena for a change.

While I can see the need for restricted/limited range in populated areas, there is absolutely NO need for it in MOST of Indiana or in a large portion of Illinois. Getting anything to do with firearms changed here in Illinois takes MUCH more than simple common sense. It takes serious money and knocking together some heads. Notice we were the absolute LAST state in the country to get a Carry law passed!

I find it hilarious that here in Illinois, or currently in Indiana, you can't deer hunt with rifle cartridges (from a rifle) but you CAN predator hunt with them! I sure wish someone from the DNR or Government can tell me how it is safer to shoot at a much SMALLER target with a high powered rifle than at a Whitetail! As I said, it is just a tool the "anti's" used to attempt to take our firearms uses away as well as attempt to restrict our hunting ability. Maybe Illinois will see the light when Indiana passes this and will lift the ban here as well.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know that it was antis involvement, but we have the same deal in zone 3 here in the southern part of MI in that we can't use a centerfire rifle to deer hunt, but can use anything we want the rest of the year for varmints!
Old 04-16-2015, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
I don't know that it was antis involvement, but we have the same deal in zone 3 here in the southern part of MI in that we can't use a centerfire rifle to deer hunt, but can use anything we want the rest of the year for varmints!
It's the same in a few parts of PA as well Top. Allegheny, Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia counties are all SG/ML special regulations areas. Philadelphia county is the only one I really see the need for it. The others are WAY less populated rural areas for the most part. Lot of Amish population in Bucks and Chester.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:09 AM
Spike

thanks for the info

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.