Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

BIG deer by my stand

Old 10-13-2003, 03:50 PM

Default BIG deer by my stand

Hey guys - I heard from my neighbor (we hunt the same land) that they saw a BIG buck within 50-60 yds of my stand. Man, i' m so excited, but i don' t want to mess anything up that would mess with my chances of getting this deer.

What should i watch as far as hunting him? I know about scent control and staying in the stand and all but should i put out deer corn or rice bran? Should i be more passive or agressive on calling, and should i use grunt calls or bleat calls or fawn calls? I don' t want to mess this up...
Old 10-14-2003, 06:14 AM

Default RE: BIG deer by my stand

Go get him!

I wouldn' t put out any piles of corn....a food source suddenly appears in his woods...might make him spooky, especially if you leave scent behind.

Wouldn' t change anything...assuming you have already been hunting the stand. Get up a tree and see whats happening!

Good luck, look forward to seeing some pics.
Old 10-14-2003, 06:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

A good deer is already at your stand, why do anything that could possibly run him off? Just get up there and sit, and sit and sit.
Old 10-14-2003, 08:39 AM

WATCH THE WIND biggest thing that will screw things up, people can say what they want about scent control but you will not fool that big bucks nose. That is why he is big. Put the wind in your face approach the stand opposite the way you think the deer come from. I do disagree on the baiting, put out corn obviously it is legal the does will come to it and where the does go he cant pass up, ive seen it first hand in texas and kansas it works, if the wright doe comes to the bait and is in heat what do you think he is going to do? BANG and call the Taxidermist go get him
Old 10-14-2003, 10:57 PM
Spike

Play the wind. Get in your stand and become invisible....for as long as you can take. I agree with trophyhuntr...put some food out if its legal. The does will come and in a couple weeks, he won' t be far of their tails.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don' t change a thing.
He' s already there.
Go sit until you see him.
NOW!!
Old 10-15-2003, 11:10 AM

I agree don' t change anything. You need to get some sort of a pattern on him and the only way to do that is sit in the stand. Pay attention to any rubs or scrapes that may pop up.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:20 AM

- I heard from my neighbor (we hunt the same land) that they saw a BIG buck within 50-60 yds of my stand
If your partner is anything like the guys I sometimes hunt with, There was never even a buck under THAT stand

Yet the one he all of a sudden decides to hunt after you have commited yourself to your stand, well........thats the stand with the big one under it
Old 10-15-2003, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

If he is working the area around your stand already, do nothing but watch the wind and cover your sent, good luck!!!
Old 10-15-2003, 05:58 PM

play close attention to entry and exit routes... try to avoid crossing the path that he is using to avoid him picking up your scent and pick a route that wont spook him if you are close to his bedding area

Quick Reply: BIG deer by my stand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.