Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

From the Pointing Dog Journal

Old 04-08-2015, 01:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default From the Pointing Dog Journal

Not sure where to put this because it affects both big game and small game. This is from the "Pointing Dog Journal" magazine. An e-mail suggesting no one hunt in Michicah this coming season.

Special Report April 2015

Reconsider Coming to Michigan to Hunt
There's a good possibility I'll hear from the Pure Michigan campaign folks after this email goes out, but I have to warn any of our readers who are contemplating a hunting trip of any sort to Michigan this fall and who plan to hunt on public lands owned by the state: You may want to reconsider.

A subsection of Senate Bill 39 says: "… the Department [DNR] shall promote public enjoyment of this state's wildlife and other natural resources by providing public access to all natural resource dependent outdoor recreation activities including motorized and nonmotorized activities."

To make matters worse, another section of the bill calls for the removal of all berms, gates, or anything else designed to keep out trucks, four-wheelers, dirt bikes, knobby-tired hill-climbing Jeeps, anything, really, though the state's lands already have more than 4,000 miles of such access available now.

Coincidentally, there are more than 3.9 million acres of state land that would be affected, including the GEMS Lands (Grouse Enhanced Management System Lands) that are set up for grouse and woodcock hunting, gated, and intended to be accessed by foot traffic only.

But there's something else: If I wanted to pass a law that would give anti-hunters the legal excuse they need to interfere with and disrupt hunting without being charged with hunter harassment, this bill would be it.

When I contacted a co-sponsor of the bill, his office told me I was reciting "talking points"; maybe you'll have better luck. The ones who would be most likely to have their opinions valued would be out-of-state hunters who may wish to head for Minnesota or Wisconsin instead of Michigan this year; but any comments will help. If you still want to come, then welcome; just be aware that by fall, things could be different than in the past.

With the habitat damage these new rules could possibly cause, along with the impact on gamebird nesting, the danger to our dogs, and potential interference with our sport, I cannot in good conscience advise you to do anything except reconsider heading to Michigan this fall.

Should you want to let your opinion be known, contacts for Natural Resources Committee members and others are listed below.

Sen. Tom Casperson (R) Committee Chair, 38th District
Sen. Phil Pavlov (R) Vice Chair, 25th District
Sen. David Robertson (R) 14th District
Sen. Jim Stamas (R) 36th District
Sen. Rebekah Warren (D) Minority Vice Chair, 18th District
You can also contact Governor Rick Snyder and Senator Darwin Booher.

Thanks for your time,

Steve Smith
Editor

P.S. - Spread the word: Facebook Twitter
Old 04-08-2015, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been hearing rumors that they were going to do that for the past 2 or 3 years now. The bill is just in the introduction phase at the moment and may or may not pass. You can view the bill text here:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/docume...5-SIB-0039.htm

I would suggest all hunters in Michigan get on the phones and online and make sure they all know your position on this. This Bill passing would be detrimental to the State Game Lands as well as putting a serious impact on hunters.
Old 04-10-2015, 03:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Opening the outdoors to every one regardless has always been a goal of the Good Old People. Lansing is full of those Good Old People for the last four years.

I grew up and went to school with Darwin Booher, He told me he didn't think the bill had a snow balls chance in hell of passing. Number one the DNR does not want many areas open to motorized TOYS after the law finally getting passed in the early 1970 that required a ORV permit to use some trails and close many to stop & reduce the erosion damage.
right now there is only the law against the operation of snow mobiles on state land during the deer season Nov. 15th thru the rest of the month during hunting hours. ATV's are not allowed off trails at any time.

Last year fees were changed, Residents now pay a higher fee for licenses and OS hunters fees got a reduction.
Wouldn't break my heart to not have those out of state hunters as many do not read the rule book so think they can road hunt here and shoot deer in ditches and trespass on my land to retrieve it with out asking.

So if ya'll all don't come to Michigan to hunt ya'll will not be missed one bit.

Al

Last edited by alleyyooper; 04-10-2015 at 03:47 AM.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:43 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
Opening the outdoors to every one regardless has always been a goal of the Good Old People. Lansing is full of those Good Old People for the last four years.

I grew up and went to school with Darwin Booher, He told me he didn't think the bill had a snow balls chance in hell of passing. Number one the DNR does not want many areas open to motorized TOYS after the law finally getting passed in the early 1970 that required a ORV permit to use some trails and close many to stop & reduce the erosion damage.
right now there is only the law against the operation of snow mobiles on state land during the deer season Nov. 15th thru the rest of the month during hunting hours. ATV's are not allowed off trails at any time.

Last year fees were changed, Residents now pay a higher fee for licenses and OS hunters fees got a reduction.
Wouldn't break my heart to not have those out of state hunters as many do not read the rule book so think they can road hunt here and shoot deer in ditches and trespass on my land to retrieve it with out asking.

So if ya'll all don't come to Michigan to hunt ya'll will not be missed one bit.

Al
Wasn't planning on hunting there anytime in the near future. But if this is the attitude of the so called sportsmen in Michigan I guess you will get your wish. Also I guess you do not want any help to keep this bill from passing either.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Al

First off, I think you need to closely read the present fee structure and then show us where there was any real reductions for NRs. Second, blaming NRs for doing things like you stated is absolutely foolish when there is probably the same percentage of resident jackasses committing the same or worse violations. We certainly don't need people such as yourself painting the entire population with a broad brush like you did in that post just because you seem to have some problems where you live!
Old 04-10-2015, 09:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by vapahunter
Wasn't planning on hunting there anytime in the near future. But if this is the attitude of the so called sportsmen in Michigan I guess you will get your wish. Also I guess you do not want any help to keep this bill from passing either.
Please don't let one "so-called" sportsman from here that is spouting BS deter you from coming up here any time you want! I've got hunting property up in northern MI and it's not even posted. I have no problem with anyone hunting it as long as they leave things as they found them and it's been that way since I bought the place in 1973 with absolutely not one single problem. IMHO people like him making BS statements like that last line of his do as much or more harm in fragmenting our sport than what he's mentioning. Please take that post with a grain of salt and realize he is but one small speck in the scheme of things and not speaking for the populace.

As far as this Bill, I'll be looking into it over the next several weeks. I know the Director of the DNR quite well from when he worked in the MDAs PPM Division when I was working with the Department before retiring in 2002. Keith is a good guy and should be out at Fort Custer near Battle Creek on May 4th for the Legislator Turkey Hunt our NWTF Chapter puts on every year. I'll make sure to get with him and find out exactly if this Bill is going anywhere and what he can do, if anything, about it in his capacity heading the DNR. There will also be some key Legislators there and I don't doubt that this Bill will be discussed during our evening meal with all of them present to get some more "up close and personal" information on it.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 04-10-2015 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-10-2015, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Alley, I literally hunt all over the country. It's actually a rare thing that I hunt in my own state. I personally have NEVER trespassed to recover, road hunted, have no clue what the hell you meant about shooting a deer in a ditch, or anything else to put hunters in a bad light. I seriously do NOT appreciate being lumped in with the one or two people you may or may not have had a run in with.

I put my best foot forward to land owners in the states I am hunting in so that they may see that we hunters are not a bad group at all. I typically share in the kill if they want, I always close gates, I NEVER leave litter. I even try my best if possible to leave wherever I am hunting in BETTER shape than it was! I've hunted in several places in Michigan over the years, primarily the "swamps" and I have always done my best to represent our hunting community in the best way possible. My apologies for those you have encountered that were "bad seeds" but if you wouldn't mind, please refrain from lumping ALL of us in with the few morons that are out there.
Old 04-11-2015, 03:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

It's like I said they don't bother to read the rule book. Some states allow road hunting many allow you to just go on some ones property to recover game.
Neither is allowed in Michigan. Also in Michigan posting land is not required to stop people from trespassing, plain and simple you need permission from the land owner.
So if the shoe fits !!!!

Al
Old 04-11-2015, 07:19 AM
Typical Buck

It's like I said they don't bother to read the rule book. Some states allow road hunting many allow you to just go on some ones property to recover game.
Neither is allowed in Michigan. Also in Michigan posting land is not required to stop people from trespassing, plain and simple you need permission from the land owner.
So if the shoe fits !!!!

Al
And if ot doesn't throw it at the person who showed it to you. How do you know all the violaters are from out of state? So you can assure everyone that all the in state hunters are the most ethical and law abiding hunters there are and they would never violate the rules. Might want a little more documentation to make your point. Even though you do not have one. 'POOPER.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:20 AM
Typical Buck

So if the shoe fits !!!!

Al
And ifdoesn throw it at the person who showed it to you. How do you know all the violaters are from out of state? So you can assure everyone that all the in state hunters are the most ethical and law abiding hunters there are and they would never violate the rules. Might want a little more documentation to make your point. Even though you do not have one. 'POOPER.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.