Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tree stand question

Old 04-05-2015, 09:45 PM
Spike

Default Tree stand question

I am close to 300 lbs. most stands except for 2 man stands are rated at 300 lbs. with clothing and gear I would weigh more than that. would I still be ok? I know sometimes manufacturers sometimes under rate ladders etc for liability purposes. Thanks
Old 04-05-2015, 10:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's really according to what type of stand for one. For climbers and hang on's I wouldn't recommend going over the weight limit. Ladder stands do tend to under rate the weight but I wouldn't push it. There are several makers that make "Magnum" stands made for larger men. I think API makes a climber with a weight limit of 350# Not sure what it's called but most makers call them "Magnum" somewhere in the name. I know Summit used to make one rated for 350 which I did buy since with all my gear I push close to 300 myself but that was like 8 years ago or so. I think it's called the "Titan" or some other such nonsense. It's heavy as hell to pack in compared to a lot of other stands but it does grip a tree like a scared chimp! They may still make it and it may be lighter. I know mine is close to 30# but such is life.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:49 AM
Spike

Default Tree Stands

I'm a little over 300 too. I got a double ladder stand on purpose for the higher weight rating (500) but also for the extra room to move around and I can take more accessories. Hope this helps.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:20 AM
Fork Horn

i sit in a big game partner pro which is a 2 man stand rated to 500lbs. i'm about 220 but i like it for the extra room once i'm up in it.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Glad I'm only 165# and can use stands that still have a lot of leeway as to the weight they can safely hold! I believe if I was in the weight range of some of you that I would be going with the double wide ladder stand that are made for a lot of weight and you would also have a lot of room by yourself using them.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Top, At 6'3 I'm in the tall range not the "wide" range. Granted I guess I'm a pretty big guy at 250 but at my height not all that "wide. Carrying all my gear and boots and clothes (when it's really cold) I am pushing, if not passing, 300. Not to mention I hunt in the most remote and rough places I can find where I have little to no chance of running into other hunters and more deer. Carrying a ladder stand into those areas is a no go for me. Just too darn old to pack one of those beasts into remote lands. I know I could carry it in before season and out after but even with remote lands comes thieves if they can make a buck. And a chain and lock are only as good as a set of bolt cutters.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:04 PM
Fork Horn

I have a lone wolf alpha and it's rated for 350 pounds
Old 04-06-2015, 08:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Top, At 6'3 I'm in the tall range not the "wide" range. Granted I guess I'm a pretty big guy at 250 but at my height not all that "wide. Carrying all my gear and boots and clothes (when it's really cold) I am pushing, if not passing, 300. Not to mention I hunt in the most remote and rough places I can find where I have little to no chance of running into other hunters and more deer. Carrying a ladder stand into those areas is a no go for me. Just too darn old to pack one of those beasts into remote lands. I know I could carry it in before season and out after but even with remote lands comes thieves if they can make a buck. And a chain and lock are only as good as a set of bolt cutters.
I didn't mention width when I was referring to the post previous to mine where our member stated the double wide gives him more room. I'd bet that at only 5" taller than I am that your height isn't the main difference in my 165# and your 250#! My waist is 34" and I'd also bet yours is just a little bit bigger than that! Anyway, normally when guys are talking whitetail hunting it doesn't involve going ten miles from nowhere like when you are possibly hunting mulies or elk. It sounds like you may have an unusual situation compared to most guys if you go way back in the boonies, but I have no idea how far that is. Most of my stands are from 1/4 to 3/4 of a mile from my cabin, which is why I put a bunch out and have them in all the good spots over the years because they definitely aren't conducive to moving them all over the countryside even in those short distances.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 04-06-2015 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not that unusual if you are surrounded everywhere you go by hunters (if you can call half the guys I see out there hunters). You have to get away from the "stompers" and the late idiots that don't start into their stands until after daylight is well underway! It was REALLY bad in PA. Not SO bad here in IL but I guess I just got into the habit of going where most human beings would say "oh hell no I aint going in THERE!"

And BTW Top, I wear a size 36 thank you very much! Wore a 34 until 50 found me then I got whats called the "chester drawer" syndrome. Me damn chest fell into me damn drawers!
Old 04-06-2015, 09:13 PM
Spike

Thanks everyone. I have a two man stand on another area but I had a heck of a time putting it up. They weigh a ton and are so top heavy. I'm 64 and not as strong as I used to be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.