Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting keeps going...

Old 03-23-2015, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
My triage kit weighs less than a pound, including the beacon. Every item in it has a purpose and nothing is heavy or bulky. Besides I never said I couldn't find room for a phone, I said it was simply extra weight to carry for no reason if there is no cell phone reception. You got that part right? Why would I tote something that simply does not work in the areas I hunt? I'd rather fill that area in my daypack with a wad a parachute cord or a couple energy bars. I've lived out of a daypack for a week without returning to the truck and don't have the luxury of carrying worthless items around.

I started hunting long before things like cell phones and things like GPS existed. I shot my first deer in 1971. I managed to function just fine without a phone in the field and I never worried about getting so badly injured that it was an issue. I have complete faith in my abilities and am not at all concerned if I don't have a phone with me. I'm not concerned with getting lost either because I know how to use a compass and a map. Here's a question: Would you stop hunting if you couldn't have a phone with you? If your answer is no, then you just proved that it isn't a vital piece of gear and you can function without it.

I'll trust my skills and my abilities. You carry your phone. I won't. To each his own. I won't judge your actions and request the same level of courtesy from you but I doubt I'll get it since I disagree with your opinion.

By the way, ...Deleted by CalHunter..., you may want to go back and actually read my first comment about cell phones. I said I only have the phone because my wife wants me to carry it so I can call someone but in order to do that I will have to drive to a place that the thing works! So the glove box is the right place to keep it. My wife knows the types of country I hunt and she knows I'll often be out of touch for days or even weeks at a time. She did 8 years in the Army herself and knows I have the skills to take care of myself with or without a phone. If you actually depend on a phone to keep you safe in the field then you need to brush up on your survival skills and woodsman-ship. Like you said, my wife, my family so don't ...Deleted by CalHunter... about how I do things. I'm pretty sure I don't need or want your blessing one way or the other.

Because Rockport always ...Deleted by CalHunter...and throws a tantrum if I "dare" to publicly disagree with him about anything. Frankly I find it hilarious!

There you go, tying to use logic on RockPort. How dare you do such a thing? Careful, ...Deleted by CalHunter...
You might want to ...Deleted by CalHunter... Your the one writing a book because I disagree with your opinion. Your the one throwing a tantrum because I don't agree with you. You can do what ever you want but I carry my phone because I think it is selfish not to.

"Virtually no service" is not no service. I get virtually no service as well but there is a chance if there is an emergency I will at some point catch a little service and get a message and that possibility makes my wife feel better so I do it.

Its not just about an actual emergency. Its also about all the times there is no emergency but my my wife feels a little better and worries a little less knowing I have it.

Last edited by CalHunter; 03-23-2015 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Rule # 12--Warning.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by rockport
You might want to check your own panties. Your the one writing a book because I disagree with your opinion. Your the one throwing a tantrum because I don't agree with you. You can do what ever you want but I carry my phone because I think it is selfish not to.

"Virtually no service" is not no service. I get virtually no service as well but there is a chance if there is an emergency I will at some point catch a little service and get a message and that possibility makes my wife feel better so I do it.

Its not just about an actual emergency. Its also about all the times there is no emergency but my my wife feels a little better and worries a little less knowing I have it.
Judas Jenny!!! Flags has been more than nice telling you to do what you want and he'll do as he sees fit! ...Deleted by CalHunter... he's been very decent and has just kept telling you that he disagrees and put it to bed! ...Deleted by CalHunter...

Last edited by CalHunter; 03-23-2015 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Rule # 12--Warning.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

And where I hunt there is NO SERVICE at all. Maybe you didn't catch that. Where I do nearly all my hunting is 85 miles from the nearest town. There are no cell phone towers for miles in any direction. That's why I carry an emergency beacon and keep the phone in the glove box of the truck. It has nothing to do with being "selfish" it has to do with the fact the damn phone is worthless where I hunt. If the phone worked, I'd carry it but that isn't the issue.

What point of that do you not grasp? I hunt in the Rocky Mountains and not in the Mid-west. There is a world of difference there. Face it Otis, we are going to have to agree to disagree with this. I suggest you let it die right now because if I post again it will be because you refuse to respect my views on the matter.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:06 AM
Fork Horn

service is absent where i hunt so i don't carry a phone in my pack. it gets left in the truck and is more or less just a camera for me should i pass something interesting until service returns
Old 03-23-2015, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

And where I hunt there is NO SERVICE at all. Maybe you didn't catch that. Where I do nearly all my hunting is 85 miles from the nearest town. There are no cell phone towers for miles in any direction. That's why I carry an emergency beacon and keep the phone in the glove box of the truck. It has nothing to do with being "selfish" it has to do with the fact the damn phone is worthless where I hunt. If the phone worked, I'd carry it but that isn't the issue.

What point of that do you not grasp? I hunt in the Rocky Mountains and not in the Mid-west. There is a world of difference there. Face it Otis, we are going to have to agree to disagree with this. I suggest you let it die right now because if I post again it will be because you refuse to respect my views on the matter.

...Deleted by CalHunter...

Last edited by CalHunter; 03-23-2015 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Rule # 12--Warning.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Or maybe you used the word "virtually" and don't know what it means.
Escuse me ...Deleted by CalHunter..., I is sorry I negelected to say that in one area I hunt maybe every 4th or 5th year, when I can get a pronghorn tag, there is some spotty service. But where I hunt deer and elk every year there isn't any. Please escuse my ignance ...Deleted by CalHunter... I is sorry you gots confused. I will be sure to run everything through you in the future to be sure it's meets your approval. Wouldn't want to offend the ...Deleted by CalHunter... would I?

DUDE GET A FRIGGIN' LIFE. ...Deleted by CalHunter...

Last edited by CalHunter; 03-23-2015 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Rule # 12--Warning.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:36 AM
Typical Buck

I don't get cell service were I hunt, so I don't take my phone. Usually hunt with my father so we have Motorola talkabout radios we carry. We also let people know the location we are hunting have two main properties we hunt so usually let my grandmother know with one we are hunting.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Judas Jenny!!! Flags has been more than nice telling you to do what you want and he'll do as he sees fit! ...Deleted by CalHunter... he's been very decent and has just kept telling you that he disagrees and put it to bed! ...Deleted by CalHunter...

Last edited by CalHunter; 03-23-2015 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Rule # 12--Warning.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:50 AM
Fork Horn

I always have my phone on me. I usually spend some time reading different articles while I'm sitting there. I have trouble sitting all day if the hunting is slow. Don't get me wrong I love staring at trees as much as the next guy but it gets old after 4 or 5 hours. I wouldn't say I'm any less in tune with what's going on than someone who's just watching squirrels or something. If you're not sitting then I could see where using a phone would be distracting and detrimental. Also, my phone doubles as a flashlight and a compass assuming it's not dead. So if for some reason I needed a compass or a light and didn't have mine my phone would do in a pinch. That being said, about the only thing my phone will be good for when we go to Colorado will be pictures and maybe an alarm.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Escuse me ...Deleted by CalHunter..., I is sorry I negelected to say that in one area I hunt maybe every 4th or 5th year, when I can get a pronghorn tag, there is some spotty service. But where I hunt deer and elk every year there isn't any. Please escuse my ignance ...Deleted by CalHunter... I is sorry you gots confused. I will be sure to run everything through you in the future to be sure it's meets your approval. Wouldn't want to offend the ...Deleted by CalHunter... would I?

DUDE GET A FRIGGIN' LIFE. ...Deleted by CalHunter...
I didn't confuse anything. I simply addressed the words you wrote according to what they actually mean and I never ask you to run anything by me. I don't care what you do......it is you that has a problem with my opinion.

Last edited by CalHunter; 03-23-2015 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Rule # 12--Warning.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.