Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting keeps going...

Old 03-20-2015, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I reluctantly got a smart phone 2 years ago, and i'm learning to like it, the instant weather updates are nice, i use that feature as a logger and hunter in the long days in the bush.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

While I can't imagine why anybody would want to play on their phone while hunting an internet forum strikes me as an odd place to criticize smart phones.

It is kind of weird.....whats not to like?

Phones make people rude and bring hunting down about like guns commit murder.

I got my first smart phone a year or so ago and I certainly don't hate having the weather forecast and wind direction on my phone.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by rockport
To me it is a little selfish to leave your phone in the truck when hunting if you have a family.
When you hunt in areas like I do that have virtually no cell phone reception, what sense does it make to carry one in the field? Just more weight to pack. Not everyone hunts in the corn fields around their houses. Some of us hunt in some really rugged and remote country in the Rockies.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
When you hunt in areas like I do that have virtually no cell phone reception, what sense does it make to carry one in the field? Just more weight to pack. Not everyone hunts in the corn fields around their houses. Some of us hunt in some really rugged and remote country in the Rockies.
...Deleted by CalHunter...Quite often I don't have service either nor do I just hunt a corn field around my house.

If you have it you may not be able to use it. If you don't have it you for sure can't use it.

Last edited by CalHunter; 03-23-2015 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Rule 12--Warning.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds silly to me.
I'm sure it does. But then, it is obvious to the most casual of observers that I'm not you and you're not me. I spent over 25 years in the military and pretty much know how to take care of myself including doing major first aid on myself if injured. I carry a pretty extensive triage kit including a tourniquet and blood clotting material and an emergency beacon if I get laid low. All initial first aid is self-administered first aid anyways. That's one of the first things they teach you when you go into combat. But then, you've never been in combat have you?

Carry your phone if you want to. I'll pass on that. You don't mind if I do that do you? We can agree to have a difference of opinion right?
Old 03-21-2015, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
I'm sure it does. But then, it is obvious to the most casual of observers that I'm not you and you're not me. I spent over 25 years in the military and pretty much know how to take care of myself including doing major first aid on myself if injured. I carry a pretty extensive triage kit including a tourniquet and blood clotting material and an emergency beacon if I get laid low. All initial first aid is self-administered first aid anyways. That's one of the first things they teach you when you go into combat. But then, you've never been in combat have you?

Carry your phone if you want to. I'll pass on that. You don't mind if I do that do you? We can agree to have a difference of opinion right?
All that and you can't find the room for a cell phone? ...Deleted by CalHunter...

Make no mistake I don't care what you do.

No I don't have combat experience but I did carry a war vet out of the bottom of a hollow with a broken leg in the middle of the night after he fell coon hunting and laid there for hours.

You do what you want. You already said you have a cell phone because your wife wants you to carry one in the field but then you leave it in the truck.......to me that is very selfish but again your wife ,your phone, your business.

To me your actually being selfish enough to miss the whole point.....Its not about you its about your family(if you have one).

Its just my opinion.....your wife wants you to carry one for a reason. If your to hard headed to carry one to make here feel better I'm sure I can't convince you otherwise.

Last edited by CalHunter; 03-23-2015 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Rule # 12--Warning.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you don't care what Flags does, then why are you giving him so much negative criticism in how he does things?! FYI that emergency beacon he uses out in the boonies is a heck of a lot better and quicker at contacting someone than a telephone when there is no cell service. Therefore, he's more than keeping in touch with his wife when his phone is usable and when it's not he can trust the other method for immediate help and contact with civilization. Hunting where you are in the heavily populated midwest is a completely different ballgame than out in the mountains where Flags and I do most of our hunting and I think you missed the gist of what he was saying as far as his communication methods!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 03-21-2015 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-21-2015, 07:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Still trying to figure out how not carrying a phone you cannot use is selfish! If there is no service, the phone serves no more purpose in a coat pocket than it does in the truck glove box. Just imagine all the hardships hunters suffered before there was any such thing as a cell phone or smart phone, it must have been terrible.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

All that and you can't find the room for a cell phone? Sounds extremely hard headed to me.
My triage kit weighs less than a pound, including the beacon. Every item in it has a purpose and nothing is heavy or bulky. Besides I never said I couldn't find room for a phone, I said it was simply extra weight to carry for no reason if there is no cell phone reception. You got that part right? Why would I tote something that simply does not work in the areas I hunt? I'd rather fill that area in my daypack with a wad a parachute cord or a couple energy bars. I've lived out of a daypack for a week without returning to the truck and don't have the luxury of carrying worthless items around.

I started hunting long before things like cell phones and things like GPS existed. I shot my first deer in 1971. I managed to function just fine without a phone in the field and I never worried about getting so badly injured that it was an issue. I have complete faith in my abilities and am not at all concerned if I don't have a phone with me. I'm not concerned with getting lost either because I know how to use a compass and a map. Here's a question: Would you stop hunting if you couldn't have a phone with you? If your answer is no, then you just proved that it isn't a vital piece of gear and you can function without it.

I'll trust my skills and my abilities. You carry your phone. I won't. To each his own. I won't judge your actions and request the same level of courtesy from you but I doubt I'll get it since I disagree with your opinion.

By the way, Genius, you may want to go back and actually read my first comment about cell phones. I said I only have the phone because my wife wants me to carry it so I can call someone but in order to do that I will have to drive to a place that the thing works! So the glove box is the right place to keep it. My wife knows the types of country I hunt and she knows I'll often be out of touch for days or even weeks at a time. She did 8 years in the Army herself and knows I have the skills to take care of myself with or without a phone. If you actually depend on a phone to keep you safe in the field then you need to brush up on your survival skills and woodsman-ship. Like you said, my wife, my family so don't get your panties in a twist about how I do things. I'm pretty sure I don't need or want your blessing one way or the other.

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
If you don't care what Flags does, then why are you giving him so much negative criticism in how he does things?!
Because Rockport always ...Deleted by CalHunter... and throws a tantrum if I "dare" to publicly disagree with him about anything. Frankly I find it hilarious!

Originally posted ny Oldtimr.
Still trying to figure out how not carrying a phone you cannot use is selfish! If there is no service, the phone serves no more purpose in a coat pocket than it does in the truck glove box.
There you go, ...Deleted by CalHunter... LOL

Last edited by CalHunter; 03-23-2015 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Rule # 12--Warning.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

lmao, you 2 are cracking me up!!!

I advocate the carry of an EMERGENCY devise be it an emergency beacon (good call Flags) an emergency Sat phone if you are going to be in areas without typical cell reception, or a cell phone if you are going to be in areas with RELIABLE cell reception. With today's advancements in communication, there really is no excuse NOT to carry some form of emergency devise just in case. Granted, I as well as many other old timers on here, grew up in a time where a phone without a cord was unheard of and unless you had a military quality walkie you were lucky to be able to talk more than 500 yards from your buddy!

All this crappolla around nowadays takes away the real pleasure of hunting which is being one with nature. NOT your head in a game of angry birds!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.