HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Does my land have potential? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/398249-does-my-land-have-potential.html)

Finfishie 03-15-2015 06:00 PM

Does my land have potential?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi guys,
We have recently purchased 40 acres in Langlade county, WI. The land is thick forest, and has two food plots. The land is also surrounded soy bean and corn fields. So far we have seen a few yearling bucks and some does, but recently our cams have shown a very low amount of deer activity in the last three months. I just want to get your opinions if it looks like it might have potential or no?

super_hunt54 03-15-2015 11:35 PM

Hard to really tell from an aerial photo without a few more details. How's the water situation? Is it good bedding cover? Are you seeing any sign of old rubs on outer trees bordering the fields? 40 acres isn't going to hold a lot of deer no matter how good the total situation but it looks like you may have a little something there to work with. Good outlaying nearby food source and from what little I can see from the photo, may have good bedding cover which is very important. Really home in on the edges of that wooded lot and look for trails. Also locate a water source and look around the banks for tracks as well.

alleyyooper 03-16-2015 01:42 AM

When you say thick forest is it mature or recently cut and growing up thick.

You've seen deer so I think your in fine shape the patterns change. with the nicer weather they are in the fields like fleas on a dog here about all day long. Rebuilding for fawn drop time only 70 to 90 days off.

:D Al

Finfishie 03-16-2015 03:54 AM

Thanks for responding. The lot on the left has a trout stream running through it and is not hunted. The lot on the right is also not hunted. There is no water on my property though. Would you recommend digging a water hole?

Finfishie 03-16-2015 03:56 AM

Thanks for responding. The trees on the land have never been logged. The forest is full of monster maple trees, oak, and a few birch and pines.

Oldtimr 03-16-2015 04:32 AM

Sounds like you have the opportunity to create some great habitat as well as make some money with some selective logging to open up the overstory and get some growth on the ground which will provide deer food. I don't know how much snow you have on the ground but deep snow can result in less der movement, you probably have more deer than you know, and you can make it better. If you have land, trees and deer, your land has potential.

Topgun 3006 03-16-2015 05:29 AM

What he^ said!!!

MZS 03-16-2015 06:45 AM

Yes, you should log, but do so carefully and selectively! Too much clear cutting and the few deer you have will be gone for many years except at night to browse - otherwise they will hide out in your neighboring big forest. Your situation sounds similar to what I have (small woods surrounded by agriculture and bigger woods), but my property was logged so hard (by a logger that said he was managing it for hunting) that the few deer I had left only to return at night. Get someone that professionally manages forests for hunting to mark only the trees to be cut, and then if you get a logger in there, cut only those trees. And don't let the logger leave a big tangled mess that serves as an obstacle course. I wish I would have gone this route - my land is just now starting to recover as a place of daytime cover a whole 4 years later.

Game Stalker 03-16-2015 09:56 AM

I wouldn't hesitate to make your land more attractive to deer. First off, you're in the middle of those fields Your property offers deer easy access to food and bedding/cover. Intersect the deer when entering/exiting field after or before feeding.
Water would be a big help but not having it wouldn't be a deal breaker. I would also try to plant food sources that would give your property an advantage, especially after the crops are harvested. Persimmons, figs or even apple trees would be good enticement. I would also introduce myself to the farmer/neighbors as this could pay nice dividends. Your spot has much to offer. Be nice to be in your shoes.

JackAttack 03-16-2015 08:57 PM

^what he said, except examiner he figs that you plant, as many varieties are deer resistant. Also, you might at least already have some good squirrel hunting opportunities at hand. Happy hunting!