HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Listen and Learn (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/398195-listen-learn.html)

Outdoor Addiction 03-11-2015 10:42 AM

Listen and Learn

For many years, my closest encounter to hunting was through listening to stories from my cousins and uncles. One uncle in particular! He was a very knowledgeable man on about any animal you could want to hunt! I learned most everything I know from him through the years of stories he had shared with me. Although I never have got to hunt with him, the way he tells his stories made me feel like I was right along side him. I always looked forward to going to see him and going fishing with him and dad any chance I got!

Two days after Christmas of 2014, I got a call that has changed my life. At 5:30 AM I answered the call and was told that at a mere 58 years old, my uncle had passed away of a massive heart attack. At that moment, not only had my dad lost his brother, long-time fishing buddy, and mentor, he lost his best friend. I lost my uncle whom taught me the ropes on hunting, fishing, scouting, and many other lifelong lessons.

Don't take for granted the friends and family you have today. Listen to the stories they have to tell you. Even if you've heard them one hundred times already. There is something new you can take from a story every time you hear it. Live every day like it's your last, because you never know when it will be. After having a couple months to kind of soak in all that has happened, I can see the blessings he's left behind. He was the definition of a role model. He was looked up to by many including my dad and myself. He will be dearly missed by all.

CalHunter 03-11-2015 11:13 AM

Amen to that and sorry for your loss. It sounds like your uncle was definitely one of the good guys. It's easy enough to get "busy" in life and forget to smell the roses or make time for things that matter like hunting. We shouldn't but it happens.

redgreen 03-11-2015 02:05 PM

The old timers have lived and experienced much. The younger generation can learn a lot from them. Sorry to hear about you losing your mentor.

Ridge Runner 03-11-2015 02:44 PM

sorry man! lost my dad 27 years ago to a massive coronary, his brother suffered the same fate the day of dads funeral, dad was 54, his brother 59.
also lost my only uncle on my mom's side at the age of 45 on 1/1/71, my only mentor growing up was my grandma's brother, he was in his 80's taught me what he could about hunting and fishing, his greatest advice he gave me one day along the river. He looked at me and said "Boy, you better have all the fun you can while your young, cause once your dead, your gonna be dead a long time"
Its been a blast!
RR