HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Any Tick prevention advice? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/398193-any-tick-prevention-advice.html)

Outdoor Addiction 03-11-2015 05:21 AM

Any Tick prevention advice?

What's up guys! With spring creeping up ever so close, the ticks and mosquitos are not far behind. I plan on spending a lot of time in the woods this spring scouting out areas, setting stands, cameras, and salt blocks and I seem to be very susceptible to attracting ticks! I've found that Buggins works wonder for keeping gnats away and works well for mosquitos too! But I need to find something the will keep a minimal number of ticks from latching on as possible! Thanks!

turke7 03-11-2015 12:17 PM

They sell clothing that are expose to keep the ticks from getting underneath them. I picked up some for this year to try. Then you can also treat your clothing with permethrin which I'm also going to do. I'm in the North East so ticks with lyme's are a huge concern.

super_hunt54 03-11-2015 03:11 PM

As turke7 said, permethrin works wonders. Ever since I started using that stuff, I've never found a tick on me. Treat socks, pants and shirt. Spray them all down well and let them dry. Afterwards the stuff will last through several washings. Been using it in one form or another for 20 years.

https://sawyer.com/products/permethr...ect-repellent/

Ridge Runner 03-11-2015 03:29 PM

go to http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com order 36.6% permethrin, mix it with water to spray your clothes, (1/2 oz to the quart) mix it with Vaseline and put a barrier on your boots, also will kill spiders ants in your crawlspace, stinkbugs and ladybugs to, just spray the outside of your home where the sun hits it. it kills anything with 6 or 8 legs
RR

JW 03-11-2015 04:59 PM

Do not put field clothes on a bed.
Tuck your socks over your pants or better yet wear long johns and a long sleeved top.
Knee High green rubber boots ticks have a hard time clinging to them.
If you can all field clothes at the and of the tossed into a dryer at a high setting for 10 minutes will kill them
If you are camping put field clothes in a big plastic bag and give the inside of the bag a 2 second burst of any house and garden bug spray and seal.
Ticks attached on you should be removed immediately. DO NOT USE A MATCH. The tick after all is like a hypodermic needle. Heating it may cause the tick to regurgitate its fluids back in you.
Ticks removed in less than 36 hours really helps prevent tick bourne illnesses if that tick is infected
Ticks don't bury their whole body under your skin only the head.
If removed and a black spot is still their ....it is the head. Remove with a pointed object and treat with neosporin.
Ticks removed should be saved taped to a file card with area the tick came from part of rhe body bitten and a date. They can not chew out of that tape
That way if you have some weird symptom or a tell tale red bullseye you have something tbe medical staff can also test.
Preperation H works wonders cor chigger itch and swimmers itch
Ticks is the only Arthopod that requires you vet naked with someone else because you can't see everywhere.
Light colored clothing helps you spot tick easier.

turke7 03-11-2015 06:12 PM

Yeah thats something I forget that JW hit on, keep your shirt/pants tucked in and socks tucked into your pant legs or base layer. Make sure to shower recently after returning from the field to check for ticks and always do a thorough inspection. You can manually feel/sight check most of your body but your back you'll need someone to either glance it over or use a mirror. If a tick bites you and its recent still go to the doctor as its better to find out what the tick was carrying, its better to be safe then sorry. If a tick does bite you you can either remove it yourself or the doctors will, if you remove it yourself save it and bring it to the doctors for testing. Another thing you can do in addition or in a pinch is duct tape your pant's legs/socks to you so ticks can't get in for sure or if you have some string you can tie your pants legs tightly around you to hopefully prevent ticks from continuing up your legs. I know a couple people who have been severely messed up neurologically and/or physically by lyme's disease from ticks so its best to be extra careful.

Wingbone 03-12-2015 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by super_hunt54 (Post 4189387)
As turke7 said, permethrin works wonders. Ever since I started using that stuff, I've never found a tick on me. Treat socks, pants and shirt. Spray them all down well and let them dry.

https://sawyer.com/products/permethr...ect-repellent/

+2, Big fan.

ModernPrimitive 03-12-2015 05:32 AM

Permethrin and common sense measures are effective in the field.

However, they do very little when ticks hitch a ride inside on dogs or cats! A good number of the times I've been bitten have come after wrasslin' with the dogs or working around horses.

When I was a kid there were zero ticks here- it was unheard of; to describe them as an infestation now would not be an exaggeration and I seem to be their favorite meal!
To top it off, I have an allergy to the tick's saliva-so that's nice.

Used to keep a log of ticks I removed from my hide, after 2 dozen or so my MD asked me "Why bother?". Our county had the highest incidence of Lyme disease in the state a couple years ago, the medical community is well aware; fortunately, I've tested negative thus far including the test which looks for the spirochete's dna in blood plasma which is much more definitive than the blots or titers.

I read an interesting article recently which cited research showing that while white tail deer are generally thought to be responsible for the spread of ticks, the culprit is actually the common field mouse.

Frankly, I see no good reason for any blood sucking creatures.:fighting0007:

Outdoor Addiction 03-12-2015 05:37 AM

All great advice! I'm sure I can pick this permethrin up at our local Orscheln Farm and Home store. I'll give it a shot! Can't be worse than anything else I've tried. I also seem to be the prime rim of the tick world... I couldn't tell you how many I found on me last spring and summer.. It was unreal.. Doesn't help working outside and around woods all the time..

Wilcam47 03-12-2015 08:52 AM

This works great...just remember dont spray the permetherine on skin...spray on clothing and let dry.

Chiggars can be killed by putting clear nail polish on the red/itchy spots where the chiggar has dug in.