Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

how's your deer herd

Old 03-08-2015, 09:41 AM
Spike

My Deer are starting to come around to feed. Its been a few weeks since i`ve had anything on my game cameras. I just went up to my property yesterday and put a bail of alfalfa at each feeder. Pics are from a couple of weeks ago.

Old 03-08-2015, 10:07 AM
Spike

They look pleasantly plump.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:31 PM
Fork Horn

We have not seen a deer in months here in NW CT. We drive the area every day in both wooded and open areas.

It's different this winter. The ground has been covered with snow. We still have 9" or more around here. I don't know what they are eating if they are even alive!

At 10 pm here it's 22F.

Old 03-24-2015, 03:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

They are eating browse, if they haven eaten all they can reach.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:25 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Savage_99
We have not seen a deer in months here in NW CT. We drive the area every day in both wooded and open areas.

It's different this winter. The ground has been covered with snow. We still have 9" or more around here. I don't know what they are eating if they are even alive!

At 10 pm here it's 22F.

Don't worry too much about this. We had snow that was from knee-to-waist deep from Dec 1 to April 1 last year and record breaking cold and still many if not most of the deer survived. When it gets tough the deer find a way to make it. What you describe is not too bad at all.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

[QUOTE=Big tine;4188837]My Deer are starting to come around to feed. Its been a few weeks since i`ve had anything on my game cameras. I just went up to my property yesterday and put a bail of alfalfa at each feeder. Pics are from a couple of weeks ago.

IMHO that is not a good thing to do at this time of year when their digestive system is not geared up for that after the long winter they've gone through. You'll probably do more harm and possibly kill them if they eat much of that at this stage when they are still on a browse diet. People really need to read up on things before they "help" the wildlife!
Old 03-24-2015, 06:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yep, they would be much better off going out and cutting some trees down and let them lay for the browse.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here in SE Alabama we do not contend with the severe winters that you folks up north do.

Where I hunt the main issue is over population. We have worked closely with the state game folks for about 15 years to address this problem. It has amazed me how many deer we take off the 3000 +/- acres we hunt .... year after year and yet see no real drop off in population. Typically we take about 60-80 does and 20-25 decent bucks every year. Last yer we took 68 does and 27 bucks.

Photos on trail cameras we set out almost immediately after the season indicate that there are still plenty of deer hanging on the property. For example, on the 36 cameras we set out, one each on a 36 food plots, in one week's time there were over 65,000 photos. Yep ... 65,000 !! Gobs of does. Lots of young bucks and a hand full of studs that made it another year.

Interestingly enough, there were very, very few photos triggered by turkeys. Unusual for where we hunt .... and so far it has been a dry turkey season for us.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:30 PM
Typical Buck

They are thrivin in my neck of the woods.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Let me expand on what Topper and Oldtimer are trying to get across. During the lean winter months, a deer's digestive system as well as it's metabolism slow down and feed more off it's fat stores. If you suddenly throw out a high protein supplement such as an alfalfa bail, you will more than likely end up giving them colic. Bad mojo in the cold weather for deer. In the warmer spring and summer months, they can get over a bout of colic fairly easily on their own. In the winter time, they don't have the appropriate forage they need to help "loosen" up their bowels or the warmer ground to lay on to help loosen up either. Now, if you have given them this all winter long, then they are used to it and won't end up with colic.

As for the original posters question, the 6 areas I hunt around southern IL have suffered some winter losses but it doesn't seem TOO awful bad as of yet. But this weather this year is freaky to say the least so the Spring fawning may not be very good at all. Then again, may have an explosion! Welcome to Nature, she will never let you know it all and the moment you think you do, she will giggle like a maniac the second you figure it out that you know next to nothing!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.