Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

trail cams

Old 03-04-2015, 02:16 PM
Spike

Default trail cams

When due you bring in your trail cams.
And when due you put them back out.?
Or due you leave them up all yr.
I will be setting a couple near the end of this month.
Aimed at my bird feeders. That's were I get my bear
Pic. They will be hungry when they wake up.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:26 PM
Typical Buck

Bring them in mid March, put them out in August
Old 03-04-2015, 05:08 PM
Fork Horn

I bring them in after xmas when I am bout done hunting. I put them back out round turkey season, when I am back in the woods
Old 03-05-2015, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been leaving mine out year round.....missed a lot of Cool things that happen in the Off-Season when I took them in early.I now have pics of Bucks loosing their Sheds,Deer moving in the Snow,Bobcats,Foxes and Coyotes moving at all hours and since I Hunt Predators in the Winter months it gives me and idea of when and where they travel.

Even if You only leave out a few cameras and pull the majority of them it gives a You an idea of what's happening during the slower/boring times of the Off-Seasons!

Last edited by GTOHunter; 03-08-2015 at 07:36 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:03 AM
Fork Horn

I used to leave mine out year round but the winter cold tends to drain the batteries a lot quicker so I made the executive decision to bring them in during the coldest weather. I usually bring mine in around the beginning of December when the end of deer season is getting near and I just set mine out last weekend. I plan on doing this from here on out but plans are always capable of changing lol So It's just whatever you want to do. MOST cameras can handle being out all year round through all weather and I know a lot of guys that do just that but I personally like to bring mine in and save the batteries a little.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:54 PM
Spike

I leave mine out year round. Shows some cool stuff and helps me see what time the turkeys are coming out as well as watch the bucks grow. You'll also be able to see if predators are coming through your area.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Outdoor Addiction
I used to leave mine out year round but the winter cold tends to drain the batteries a lot quicker so I made the executive decision to bring them in during the coldest weather. I usually bring mine in around the beginning of December when the end of deer season is getting near and I just set mine out last weekend. I plan on doing this from here on out but plans are always capable of changing lol So It's just whatever you want to do. MOST cameras can handle being out all year round through all weather and I know a lot of guys that do just that but I personally like to bring mine in and save the batteries a little.
I agree the cold zaps the battery life, as soon as it got cold i would be replacing batteries. I got a new Primos truth cam 35 last year and told the boys to bring it in around the 1st of Jan. Anyway I saw it still on the tree today and it still has 40% battery!!?? None of my old trail cam batteries would last half that long. I was pleasantly surprised.
Old 03-15-2015, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

You could get a solar kit with rechargeable batt. and solve the battery life issue altogether. Gander Mountain used to carry them, not sure if they still do but I am sure they are still around to be found. I haven't used trail cam's since I moved here about 6 years ago so I am a bit out of that loop.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:02 AM
Fork Horn

These are a couple pics of the buck I've been chasing since 2011! He is nocturnal year round..
Attached Thumbnails trail cams-photo-1.jpg   trail cams-photo-2.jpg  
Old 03-17-2015, 03:04 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

I start to use them a few months before season. As we get closer to season, I try to limit my trips in to check them and watch the wind too so as to check them in a day where I am less likely to alert something.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.