HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   When the season is over:( (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/397901-when-season-over.html)

jerry d 02-26-2015 08:34 AM

When the season is over:(

So what do y'all do when it's done?
How many of you spring hunt? And for what? Turkey, Bear?

Me and my wife do a lot of fishing. Generally start by April 1st and fish right up until the rifle season opens, about the 3rd week in November.

Bought a camper last month so that'll keep us occupied too. Might even use it during hunting season, I'm looking into a lease that has camping on the property.

So let's here about your other sports,hobbies or addictions (legal ones of course)

newcomb 02-26-2015 09:27 AM

Well that gets me a little, there is always something
You can hunt. If you are a diehard hunter. Woodchucks
Crows etc. Its like the people on TV. Make a big deal out
Of opening day of the rifle season until it close's. They think that
Is all there is too gun/ hunting season.
I start striper fishing in April then Turkey hunt then open
Up camp on lake Champlain. Till bow season.
And hopefully due a lot of. shooting on the range.

rockport 02-26-2015 10:52 AM

We keep getting snow on top of snow and the lakes are frozen.

Normally I'd be shed hunting right now and crappie fishing on nicer days. I ice fish usually but haven't this year.

Not terrible to have a break though. Before I know it, it will be camping season, mushroom season, turkey season, and the crappie will be spawning all at once and I'll be running around like a chicken with my head cut off.

iayotehunter 02-26-2015 11:25 AM

Shed hunt and predator hunt until spring turkey season. Then turkey hunt and bass fish. Then it moves into just fishing til August and then big game hunting starts again.

Ridge Runner 02-26-2015 01:58 PM

shark fishing! that's the big one now
RR

jerry d 02-26-2015 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner (Post 4186965)
shark fishing! that's the big one now
RR

RR, did a bit of that when I lived on L.I. Never was fortunate enough to catch a mako thou, pleeeeeeeenty of blue sharks.

If ya want to kick it up a notch try da tuna!!! Fight like all get out and very good eatin.

Ridge Runner 02-26-2015 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by jerry d (Post 4186973)
RR, did a bit of that when I lived on L.I. Never was fortunate enough to catch a mako thou, pleeeeeeeenty of blue sharks.

If ya want to kick it up a notch try da tuna!!! Fight like all get out and very good eatin.

did that, yep they are good, but nothing you can catch from the beach pulls like a shark except a huge ray
RR

jerry d 02-26-2015 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner (Post 4186977)
did that, yep they are good, but nothing you can catch from the beach pulls like a shark except a huge ray
RR

Oh yeah from the beach is an altogether different game. My last 12 years of fishing on L.I. was from the beach.
We mainly targeted stripedbass and bluefish.

Ridge Runner 02-26-2015 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by jerry d (Post 4186979)
Oh yeah from the beach is an altogether different game. My last 12 years of fishing on L.I. was from the beach.
We mainly targeted stripedbass and bluefish.

caught a 5 1/2' ray year before last, one of the worst @$$ whoopins I took in my life, worth every second. was a beach wedding going on when I dragged it on the sand, the whole wedding party including the bride came to see it. caught it on a 12' 15/50# rod and a lever drag that made 36# of drag, was all I wanted.
RR

jerry d 02-27-2015 05:44 AM

Fun stuff!! Where you doing this beach fishing?

I cant say that I don't miss the beach at times but lake fishing here in TN. definitely has filled the void!

Bocajnala 02-27-2015 11:21 AM

I like to fish, turkey hunt, crop damage permits for deer, hiking, camping, anything outside.
-Jake

Ridge Runner 02-27-2015 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by jerry d (Post 4187045)
Fun stuff!! Where you doing this beach fishing?

I cant say that I don't miss the beach at times but lake fishing here in TN. definitely has filled the void!

avon on the OBX
RR

Night Crawler 02-27-2015 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner (Post 4187103)
avon on the OBX
RR

You pass me on the way...I live near Kitty Hawk.

Ridge Runner 02-27-2015 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Night Crawler (Post 4187127)
You pass me on the way...I live near Kitty Hawk.

last week of june every year watch for a blue Honda pilot pulling a trailer of fishing gear.
RR

alleyyooper 02-28-2015 01:56 AM

Coyotes, keep me busy but most of my friends are busy (to cold for them) they say to go. I go alone but isn't the same. been doing a lot of crow shooting but the season closes soon on them.
I like to do all my reloading in the rottenest windy cold winter days. Also use those days to melt down the wax and mold for sale since the wood furnace is running hot.
Turkey is a short session that goes quick.
Lots of summer fishing. I like beaver ponds back deep in the woods.

:D Al

jerry d 02-28-2015 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Bocajnala (Post 4187087)
I like to fish, turkey hunt, crop damage permits for deer, hiking, camping, anything outside.
-Jake

Yep me too, the "outdoor addiction" started at an early age for me!

Ridge Runner 02-28-2015 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by jerry d (Post 4187198)
Yep me too, the "outdoor addiction" started at an early age for me!

same here, my father was career navy, no Gameboys, no internet and all that, you couldn't bond real close with friends cause you were leaving in a year, so I got into the outdoors, since dad was navy we were always close to the ocean, so fishing was a big deal. when dad retired I was whisked off the beach at south padre island in corpus Christie texas, and moved to wv, was 27 years till I saw the ocean again, and it all came back to me, now I make at least one trip to the ocean a year, 2 if the economy is good. would move to the ocean in a heartbeat if the mrs would.
RR

GTOHunter 02-28-2015 11:36 AM

When the Deer Season is over I kick into Coyote/Predator mode and do a lot of Hunting & Scouting for Coyotes and some Bobcat and Fox Hunting while Furbearer Season is on also.In late Feb and March My eyes are on the ground looking for Buck Sheds while traveling the woods to set up for Coyote Hunting,in the Spring it's time to plant food plots and get ready for Spring Turkey and onto more Coyote Hunting thru the Summer months! ;)

jerry d 02-28-2015 04:01 PM

LOL!!,...RR I guess I'm little older than you. There was no Gameboys and Al Gore didn't invent the internet yet (sarcasm intended) Both my parents were pretty dedicated surfcasters so I was on the beach since I was 2 years old.
In 1969 my dad bought our 1st boat,a 17' Glasspar,we did all our fishing in the Long Island Sound. Seen some banner days of stripedbass and weakfish fishing.
As a family we did quite a bit of tent camping on L.I. and in upstate N.Y.
As you already know..., not a bad way to grow up.

rockport 02-28-2015 04:54 PM

I went to check a property today and there were yotes running everywhere so it looks like that will be going on the list.

Ridge Runner 02-28-2015 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by jerry d (Post 4187296)
LOL!!,...RR I guess I'm little older than you. There was no Gameboys and Al Gore didn't invent the internet yet (sarcasm intended) Both my parents were pretty dedicated surfcasters so I was on the beach since I was 2 years old.
In 1969 my dad bought our 1st boat,a 17' Glasspar,we did all our fishing in the Long Island Sound. Seen some banner days of stripedbass and weakfish fishing.
As a family we did quite a bit of tent camping on L.I. and in upstate N.Y.
As you already know..., not a bad way to grow up.

'68 we got our first, an 18' wooden john boat, then a19' skiff, sold it for an aluminum 16 footer back then for substanance we targeted weakfish also, had some awesome days on the ICW still remember the day dad caught the 17# spec.
RR