HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Called my uncle! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/397838-called-my-uncle.html)

mounting man 02-24-2015 02:55 AM

Called my uncle!

It has been years since i seen or talked to him.
He stopped hunting. He is 87 and his baby brother is around 80!!!!! Not because of heath reasons but they can't see paying $100 to have deer done up!They hung it up after last season after having to pay the butcher!
I said to him" Uncle,do you remember,in 1958,when you took me on my first deer hunt?" "He// yes,it was a blizzard and we went up on to the mountain and down the sportsmans club road. I didn't think we get back out of there!!"
Well i remember it well,the snow blowing,a white out at times,the piles of deer he pushed past me and him covered in snow! We all wore buffalo plaid Woolrich,back then and the snow stuck to them. He looked like a snow man! That was over 55 years ago!
I went back,to hunt with them for another decade,but then i got into hunting with my own group of friends and seldom seen him.
Alot has changed over those years. The weather, the woods,the peoples atittudes,the deer herd and the equipment.You can't drive on the gun club anymore,it is state game lands now!
I had no nephew to take but i did what i could with my sons and now my grandson.
How i miss being able to just park my car and just go land cruising,on my child hood ridges of the mountains of Pa. The memories all come back and i am saddened by my age and my beat up ole body.

kidoggy 02-24-2015 05:19 AM

87 years is a pretty good run. for me those memories are well worth a hundred or even a thousand dollars. don't want to pay processing fees , donate it to someone who can use it. sorry to hear he's giving it up,but I'll bet if you try you could get him back out in the field with you

jerry d 02-24-2015 05:30 AM

MM story reminds me of the credit card commercial : Deer butchering $100...Equipment $1000's...Memories priceless!!

Nice write up mounting man.

When I lived on L.I. we had about 6 or 7 spots we had access to bowhunt on. By the mid 90's all but one was gone due to development. The remaining one the county bought and didn't allow hunting...........yup things do change!!!

redgreen 02-24-2015 08:33 AM

MM, you have brought back some real good memories. Some places where I hunted are now sub divisions. The old boys that I hunted with have moved on to the happy hunting ground now. This so called progress really sucks. Things certainly were better 40 or 50 years ago.

newcomb 02-24-2015 02:14 PM

MM. The one thing they can't do is take away
Or change your memories.
That you will have for ever.
I know I sure miss hunting with my uncles
Back when I was a kid. I only have one left.
And I make sure I see him at least once a week.

Ridge Runner 02-24-2015 02:17 PM

tell him go kill a deer and call me 304-897-6512, think I can work one up yet
RR