Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Pop-up ground blind question

Old 01-31-2015, 05:03 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for info everyone! I will be ready now when the season starts again this fall!
Old 02-01-2015, 02:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

They do sell caps of blaze orange for pop up blinds. Fellows next door bought blaze orange cloth from Wal mart and drapes it over some bushed by their hub style blinds when they are in them.

This isn't a pop up but is portable although a bit on the heavy side at 22 pounds. Nice thing is the zippers do not freeze up as they have a flap over them. Holds a good amount of snow with out collapsing too.

Al

Last edited by alleyyooper; 02-01-2015 at 02:33 AM.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:04 AM
Spike

I had one when my son was smaller.I sat it up in the yard to air out,sprayed scent control on it.Found a good spot in the woods where a tree had blown down and it made a natural place to set it up.I sat it up a few days before the season.And saw deer every time we hunted out of it.They didn't seem to pay any attention to it.Went in one morning with my son to hunt and just couldn't find it in the dark,,when it came light..Lol it wasn't there.I guess someone else liked it.I guess there are pros and cons as to leaving it..It was on private property,but poachers n trespassers don't care,,just a past experience.Good luck and shoot straight.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:23 AM
Typical Buck

Had 3 that when I went back they were shredded and and a rubber hammer to put the pegs in and elected it their in the blind and a bear had bitten the rubber head. And their where bear sign all around the blind. He did that to 3 of those doghouse blinds. Know I have a wooden blind build and he never played it any mind. My father watched him out of it this year for 45min and when he leaves the bear was still their. next day the blind was fine. But also put up blinds and in 30 min had deer come.right up to them.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:12 AM
Typical Buck

I,m with Valentine.I only leave mine out for the duration of the season I plan on usin it.If a bad weather front or storm is gonna hit I will take it down to protect it till the weather passes.When it was new I too aired it out and sprayed it with a sealant especially around the seams with Camp Dry.I also clear away branches and briars that could damage it if they would rub against it.I like to secure it to saplings ,roots or other points if I can to help secure it.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:12 AM
JW
Super Moderator

One thing I do with my Pop up in snow conditions when I leave. I use my monopod as a center support pole using my chair to get the height I need.
Works rather well.

JW
Old 02-02-2015, 06:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

For the orange "flag" on a blind it must be visible 360-degrees and a cheapo blaze orange vest works great.