Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is it even worth the fight?

Old 01-29-2015, 11:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Luckofthedraw
Not sure if this is the correct place for this but here goes.
I've been hunting since age 14. 43 now. have killed many of deer with every weapon available. love the sport!
Started taking my son out when he was 13 as well. 17 now.
He has a slight ADD so I have to be sure he has all gear when I take him out in the field. He also has a hard time making out the antler requirements (Antler restriction state of PA) so we typically carry one pack and usually use one gun and sit in the same stand. he typically goes out 2-3 times during the entire season. he probably would not hunt if I didn't nudge him.

To make a long story even longer, I was visited by a game warden for the first time in my life. I was in a climber on private property on the last day of doe season. I have a legal doe tag for the area and a few other areas. The officer said I may be hunting too close to an occupied residence. within 150 yards. I gave him my spotting scope and he ranged the house at 157 yards. he said I was ok to stay where I was as long as i do not shoot into the safety zone. the officer then asked to see my license so I opened my pack and gave him my license holder. he asked if I was James and I said yes, he asked who was Luke and I said that he was my son. he then asked why I was carrying his license. I explained that he was my son who is a minor and we always keep our equipment together in one pack. he then stated that it was illegal to possess another persons license. I tried to explain that my son is not just another person but in fact my legal responsibility. he didn't want to hear it and confiscated his license along with expired licenses from 2013/2014. he stated that i cannot carry expired licenses either. so apparently now i am awaiting a fine. is it worth the fight to try to appeal this ridiculous situation?
I really don't even understand what has you worked up? You had someone else's license that you shouldn't have had. The warden took it and apparently you are sitting there awaiting some doomsday when you are going to what? Get a citation in the mail? A knock at the door?

Why don't you call the warden and simply tell him you understand what he told you, that although you have been doing it that way for years, gotten complacent, and it's time your son does it right and carries his own license and tags. Ask if you could meet with him and your son and get the license back.

Maybe he is waiting on you more than you should be waiting on him....
Old 01-30-2015, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
I just don't see a problem with expecting people that are responsible enough to hunt being expected to be responsible enough to keep track of their own tags/license.

I just don't see the big deal. A person responsible enough to operate a firearm should be responsible enough to take care of their own tags IMO......Especially at age 17
Couldn't agree more. If you are responsible enough to carry a firearm, you should be able to handle your own license. When I turned 14 I carried my license. He should have a hunting pack and keep it in there and if he is hunting

That being said, you have to look at it from another view. Your son didn't harvest a deer so you were looking to fill his tag. The warden is just taking your word that you weren't but I'm sure 99% of poachers saw they weren't poaching.

I think you learned a lesson but not too tough of one. I doubt you will get a fine if he didn't issue it on the spot. You live, you learn.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by fastetti
Couldn't agree more. If you are responsible enough to carry a firearm, you should be able to handle your own license. When I turned 14 I carried my license. He should have a hunting pack and keep it in there and if he is hunting

That being said, you have to look at it from another view. Your son didn't harvest a deer so you were looking to fill his tag. The warden is just taking your word that you weren't but I'm sure 99% of poachers saw they weren't poaching.

I think you learned a lesson but not too tough of one. I doubt you will get a fine if he didn't issue it on the spot. You live, you learn.
Not really. His sons license wasn't for does. Which is what he was hunting. His son's license wasn't anymore good to him that his dad's old license that he carried too. I see no illegal intent. Maybe a misunderstanding of the law at best.

The warden should have just given him a warning, and left it at that.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

The GW only gave him a warning the way it appears. I've never heard of writing a ticket after the fact on something like this and mailing it to the person, so it appears the GW did what he should have in this particular situation and that was to use some common sense since the old tags and the boys were of no use to the OP!