Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Anyone on here shooting .300WSM? >

Anyone on here shooting .300WSM?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Anyone on here shooting .300WSM?

Old 01-17-2015, 06:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default Anyone on here shooting .300WSM?

I just wanted to see what everyone is shooting for .300wsm rounds.

I had been shooting XP3's - but I've been getting the run around from Winchester, and this round might be discontinued. Back in Aug, they told me they were out, but XP3's were planned to be ran again in 2015. Then just last week, I'm told the ENTIRE XP3 line has been discontinued.

They recommended the Accubond CT's - which scouring the internet, I can't find that in stock anywhere either, just like the XP3's. The other problem I have, it appears that they're only available in 180gr, where as I prefer 150gr.

...so what .300wsm round are you shooting??
Old 01-18-2015, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

As for your problem finding factory ammo. It is going to be interesting down the road if relatively "unpopular" hunting rounds. Only a couple of the best local hunting shops in my area carry ammo for the "odd ball" rounds and it is very pricey by my stabndards. The 25-30 different guys I wind up huntin with every eyar, no one uses any short magnum or the so called super short rounds.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:38 PM
Spike

I like federal fusion 180 grain
Old 01-18-2015, 03:17 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Mojotex
As for your problem finding factory ammo. It is going to be interesting down the road if relatively "unpopular" hunting rounds. Only a couple of the best local hunting shops in my area carry ammo for the "odd ball" rounds and it is very pricey by my stabndards. The 25-30 different guys I wind up huntin with every eyar, no one uses any short magnum or the so called super short rounds.
I never had a problem until recently. I contacted Winchester last year, and they stated they were out of the round I liked - but they planned on loading it again in 2015.

I sent them a follow-up e-mail the other day, and then I get a reply "sorry, the entire XP3 line has been discontinued" - so it's not just the WSM guys that are crap out of luck.

Originally Posted by mn trucker
I like federal fusion 180 grain
Are these ballistic tip rounds?
Old 01-18-2015, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Do a search on the internet

Just key in the bullet, 300wsm. If someone has it for sale you should find it.
Been a shortage of late on many different bullets. The internet is more than looking for forums.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:57 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Valentine
Just key in the bullet, 300wsm. If someone has it for sale you should find it.
Been a shortage of late on many different bullets. The internet is more than looking for forums.
You can find it online all over the place. It's just a matter of finding the rounds I would prefer to buy - and/or finding new rounds as a replacement for the rounds I'd like to buy.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

Start reloading. I shot a box of Winchester 300 WSM 150 gr ballistic silvertips to check case expansion, that is the only factory ammo that has been in my rifle. I load 165gr Hornady Interbonds and get amazing accuracy and reliability in quick kills.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:15 PM
Spike

I shoot the Barnes Vor-TX 165 grain in my Savage 16 300 wsm. Very accurate. Shot 5 deer with them from 50-200 yards. All DRT. A friend of mine shoots the 165's out of his WSM in the nosler partitions. Was with him when he shot a nice black bear at about 75 yards. Bear went about 60 yards but still alive. Put another shot in him to finish him. Not sure about the bear's weight, but 5'11 from nose to tail.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Picked a heck of a bullet...

to learn about supply and demand and the continuing effects of more demand over supply.