HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   State Hunting Licenses Question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/397062-state-hunting-licenses-question.html)

bassman417 01-15-2015 06:31 AM

State Hunting Licenses Question

My wifes wanting to move someday but for me it has to be a state with good hunting opportunities of course. Looking through some states websites I don't understand some of there terms and charts, I probably just didn't dig deep enough to find the info about them. Im wanting to find out what states are best as far as resident hunting licenses and then my wife and I can start narrowing down our search from there. How do other states compare for residents? For Iowa only big game we have is whitetail...
Whitetail Deer- Over the counter-Any Sex-Statewide-$28
1st Antlerless Tag-Per County-$28
Each Antlerless Thereafter(Until Quota)-Per County-$14
This is for both Archery and Gun Licenses

Thanks in advance

kidoggy 01-15-2015 06:56 AM

Idaho has whitetail and mule deer , elk ,bear , antelope ,turkey, mtn lion and wolf. and a large variety of small game upland game and waterfowl. steelhead , salmon and many other types fishing.if you are a resident you can hunt and fish them all for a couple hundred bucks a year for tags ,permits.

a resident sportsmans package is now 124.25 per year.I believe it includes a resident combination hunting -fishing licence, deer, elk bear ,lion, wolf ,salmon and steelhead and also includes archery and muzzleloader permits.
see idaho fish and game site for individual prices.
Idaho is predominatly conservative state(with exception of blaine and adams counties) so the antis have not overrun the state yet.

hope this helps . if you have specific questions just ask and I'll help if able

Mojotex 01-16-2015 09:27 AM

Alabama - Resident license all game is under $30. Only "big game" are feral hogs and white tailed deer. Bear ... a few, but no season.

Deer limit is 3 bucks per season of which one has to have 4 on at least one side. Most of the state ... 1 doe per day. Season is approximately 100 days long. Hogs ... limit is "kill 'em all". Coyotes ... same. Lifetime license is reasonable and is priced by age bracketing. And if you move out of state, it is still valid. Over 65 .... no hunting license required.

Not much public land. Most avid hunters usually join a hunting club and lease rights. Hunting rights lease is usually around $8 to $10 per acre with some prime hunting leases exceeding $15/acre. Deer are plentiful. Not much grain ag, so deer are not nearly as hefty as some midwestern and central states.

Wilcam47 01-16-2015 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by kidoggy (Post 4180473)
Idaho has whitetail and mule deer , elk ,bear , antelope ,turkey, mtn lion and wolf. and a large variety of small game upland game and waterfowl. steelhead , salmon and many other types fishing.if you are a resident you can hunt and fish them all for a couple hundred bucks a year for tags ,permits.

a resident sportsmans package is now 124.25 per year.I believe it includes deer, elk bear ,lion, wolf ,salmon and steelhead and also includes archery and muzzleloader permits.
see idaho fish and game site for individual prices.
Idaho is predominatly conservative state(with exception of blaine and adams counties) so the antis have not overrun the state yet.

hope this helps . if you have specific questions just ask and I'll help if able

To add to this...there are also numerous tags to put in for as a "lotto" which gives you the opportunity for moose, big horn sheep, antelope etc and also you can buy nonresident extra tags for deer but that can be pricey. Typically you get one tag per animal for resident...ie deer, elk, bear. Also you are considered a resident after 6 months in the state of Idaho for hunting purposes...

kidoggy 01-16-2015 04:44 PM

doah! I knew I was forgetting some.

ModernPrimitive 01-17-2015 07:21 AM

I've only visited ID all too briefly but I gotta tell you, it seemed like a sportsman's paradise!

Everybody I met, from Moscow up to Sandpoint, was just a pleasure.

BCWV 01-18-2015 03:14 PM

WV is a good hunting state. Our 4th largest industry is hunting season, only behind coal, oil & gas and timber. Big game are, deer, bear and bore. The bore hunting has dropped off though but the bear hunting has picked up. We have 4 southern counties that are bow only and routinely produce some out standing bucks. But one thing about hunting here is most of the terrain is very rough. I just purchased my 2015 license yesterday and sportsman package was $56. that will get you one buck, one either sex deer with a bow and 1 turkey. Bear stamp is $10. for residents and bore stamp.
Also we have some of the best trout fishing in the east.
Although I'm from here, I've did a lot of traveling and we're one of the most hunter friendly states that I've been in.

turke7 01-18-2015 05:03 PM

It also may be worth taking a look at Colorado, Wyoming, and Texas. Virginia and Pennsylvania may not be a bad idea either.

Fightfireandhunt 01-19-2015 04:58 PM

Virginia has the sportsman's license like some of the others, gets you your small game, bear, deer, turkey, plus archery, muzzleloader, state freshwater fishing and trout fishing. Runs in the $130 range. If you hunt National Forest, you have to get an additional "stamp", which you have to do if you hunt waterfowl as well. You get 5 deer tags, 3 either-sex and two antlerless only, 3 turkey, and a bear. If you're east of the Blue Ridge Mountains, you get an additional antlerless tag. On the very slim chance you see an elk (they're only in SW VA so far), you can tag it with the corresponding deer tag.

Pro-Line 01-19-2015 05:25 PM

Ohio is $19 for the license, and each deer and turkey tag is $24. Everything is over the counter, and some areas have a higher bag limit than others.

Max of 1 buck per year.
Some areas have $15 antlerless permits.