HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   When to lay corn (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/396863-when-lay-corn.html)

USN Corpsman 01-05-2015 07:58 PM

When to lay corn

Was wondering for the guys that are able to use corn when do you put corn out before hunting that area? Lately I've been doing it the day of since my club is an hour drive one way from my house. Wanted to get some thoughts on if maybe I should do it a few days before because of my scent or if my scent will blow away after early morning for hunting late afternoon. Laying out 50 lbs of corn. Next season plan to put my feeder out 2 months before the season even opens.

Oldtimr 01-06-2015 03:37 AM

I am not a proponent of using bait for deer, however if it is legal and ou want to use it, you want it out well before the season opens to get the deer habituated to the bait. It woud be good to use a timed feeder set to go off just after legal shooting light if your stand over looks the baited area. If you are ust going to put some corn on the ground and let it run out and then come back periodically and not keep the bait container filled, you are just spinning your wheels.

alleyyooper 01-06-2015 03:46 AM

Baiting is legal again here in Michigan. Seems the new rule how ever limits you putting it out one day ahead and only 2 gallons at a time over 10 square feet area, a far cry from 50 pounds. I know some guys who do the scatter from the pail method and they add a few cut in half apples to the pail so the scent pulls in the deer with in hours.
They usually only get does and small year and a half old bucks.

:D Al

gjersy 01-06-2015 04:26 AM

Each state has different rules on baiting, we can't bait way before season starts, only 24 hours before season. And we can only place 2 gallons of corn out max. Don't know what state your in, but make sure of the rules. I personally don't have a problem with my scent stopping the deer from coming, they know i'm giving them corn and they eat it anyway. When baiting early morning the crows, squirrels & bluejays seem to eat it all, before the deer get there, usually starting at dusk. We can't use a feeder here, that would save a lot of hassle. I had lots of nice bucks on my food plot and corn this year but they were mainly nocturnal unfortunately. However there were a few rare cam pics of some big boys during daylight shooting hours. Anyway every herd can be a bit different, good luck.

USN Corpsman 01-06-2015 11:07 AM

I'm in FL and out of the 35 members in our club there isn't one that doesn't use corn. Some guys have numerous feeds on their section of land. First season out on my own and learning as I go. Definitely plan to set up two feeders and start a good food plot over spring. Love the sport because even though I got one deer I have learned a lot from some of the mistakes I made. Hopefully these last two weeks of the season I can put a use to my doe tag

gjersy 01-06-2015 03:27 PM

USN, you should have success with a timed feeder, they're consistent. I've never used them as they're illegal here, and theres many days i don't put my 1/2 coffee can of corn out, and that hurts. And food plots are excellent also, good luck on filling your doe tag.

Valentine 01-07-2015 03:36 AM

I'm not a farmer

and I don't put out feed for animals.
I knew a farmer who use to put his rifle just outside the rear door of his house. That was how he hunted.
the more time you spend as a "farmer" the less time you have to hunt.
But I'll keep watching those fellas haul those 50 lb. bags of corn onto their hunting ground and vote differently and not join in.

MZS 01-07-2015 04:00 AM

I think you have to "go with the flow". In other words, see what works in your area. Baiting where large amounts in timed feeders could be a lot different than places where no timed feeders are allowed and only small amounts are allowed. I know up in WI, if you keep tramping out to a bait site day after day with your gallon or two of feed, it is not long before the deer learn that it is best to hit that bait after dark.

Mr. Longbeard 01-08-2015 05:23 AM

To answer the question... I put it out 2-3 days before I plan to hunt... I also like to use some sort of scent with my corn like apples,molasses, com mer deer...