Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Completely Befuddled

Old 01-02-2015, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
If that's the case, I doubt that he would have been able to grow any antlers at all since testosterone is needed for that. It would also be pretty hard for him not to lose his antlers and then be able to grow another set the following year like you mentioned. I also doubt there was any injury involved since both antlers are screwed up. Normally an injury, such as being hit by a car, causes a deformation in the antler on the opposite side of the body than where the injury occurred, not both.
It actually does happen. I'd tell you more but that is all I really know.

All the things mentioned are possible but like I said earlier it is way more likely that he just injured his antlers during early antler growth. The paddles especially would be a big indication of that where they were smashed flat and pinched off.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:25 AM
Banned

who knows? maybe a tree branch fell on his head in a windstorm
Old 01-02-2015, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kidoggy
who knows? maybe a tree branch fell on his head in a windstorm

I found a dead buck like that once and his antler had grown around the branch.....explain that one.

I still can't quite figure it out.

Laying there dead under the branch with his antler grown around it.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by rockport
I found a dead buck like that once and his antler had grown around the branch.....explain that one.

I still can't quite figure it out.

Laying there dead under the branch with his antler grown around it.
I think it's now time for me to put my waders on, LOL!
Old 01-02-2015, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think it's now time for me to put my waders on, LOL!
It really happened.

The only thing I could come up with is the deers antlers were still soft when the branch landed on him and it bent the antler around the branch but I don't know if they would go ahead and harden on a dead deer.

My buddy had the rack last time I knew. I'll see if he has pictures.

The only other real option are the antler was already like that and the branch coincidentally landed that way or the deer somehow managed to live while being pinned to the ground for a while.

EDIT: I sent my buddy an email so hopefully I'll be able to show you a picture. Maybe with any luck he will even have a picture of it laying as we found it.

Last edited by rockport; 01-02-2015 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

I should have put a smilie up on that post! I was just BSing you a little, as I'm sure it was as you said!
Old 01-02-2015, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

If that's the case, I doubt that he would have been able to grow any antlers at all since testosterone is needed for that. It would also be pretty hard for him not to lose his antlers and then be able to grow another set the following year like you mentioned. I also doubt there was any injury involved since both antlers are screwed up. Normally an injury, such as being hit by a car, causes a deformation in the antler on the opposite side of the body than where the injury occurred, not both.
look it up
http://www.qdma.com/articles/the-real-whitetail-freak
http://my.kingscamo.com/2013/overview-of-cactus-bucks/
RR

Last edited by Ridge Runner; 01-02-2015 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:51 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
My guess is he was born with no testicles, if that is the case he will not lose his antlers, but will grow another set next year, have read about a few cases of this.
RR
I agree with no testicles but one ones I have seen look a lot like this deer but because if lack of testosterone the horns stay in a state if velvet growing and soft and thus the deforming. Never losing their horns

Buck
Old 01-02-2015, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I should have put a smilie up on that post! I was just BSing you a little, as I'm sure it was as you said!
lol Oh I'm going to show you now if I can get a picture of it. My buddy says he still has it.

I had forgot about it until this thread.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Still much more rare than a buck simply messing up his antlers in velvet but it could be that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.