Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Gimmick or actually works?

Old 12-25-2014, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Gimmick or actually works?

I have seen on several of the Whitetail hunting shows where guys use the Primos Red/Green light to blood trail/track deer. One of my hunting partners asked me about it and I don't know anyone who has either used one or has one. What are your experiences?
Old 12-25-2014, 07:24 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I started to buy one a few years ago. Don't know if it's changed, but the research I did then changed my mind--I didn't find anyone who had actually used it who said it worked as advertised.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

A gas or propane lantern is what I used to help guys find a couple deer years ago and blood really shows up well. I have never used what you guys are talking about, but I see them advertised.
Old 12-26-2014, 03:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have one that was given as a gift by my SIL last year. I actually like it and it worked well for me. YMMV.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:33 AM
Fork Horn

I honestly just use a $30 Black and Decker Spotlight from Walmart when I have to recover deer. You can see blood easy with the white light plus it makes it a lot easier to see the deer against the foliage.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:45 AM
Spike

My buddy had one and when I went to help him track his deer I brought my normal LED white flashlight and we compared a spot of blood between both flashlights and honestly looked about the same. I think it is just another one of those hunting gimmicks that acts more as a placebo effect. A good LED flashlight will work just as well and has more uses for everyday life...just my $.02
Old 12-26-2014, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Received on as a gift years ago. My opinion .... no better than a good quality, bright flash light. I work for an electric utility. Crews often use a Streamlight brand "Light Box" for night time field work. It is comparitively bulky, but it throws one heck of a beam. At night, that light along with my blood trailing pooch are great combo in following a blood trail.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a cheap one about 4yrs ago with the hopes that it would help me find coyotes in thicker cover more easily, as well as archery deer. Didn't work, so I bought a more expensive one. Didn't work, so I bought a more expensive one. Didn't work.

I wasted about $500 on these d@mn things, all told, and I can't say that any of them work better than the other, because I can't say any of them work at all. I suppose if you sprayed a few hundred dollars worth of lumenol all over the field, then the blood would luminesc under black light, but as it is, these things are a waste.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Best thing I found over the years for blood tracking a animal is a good old model 240 Coleman white gas lantern. Makes that dot of blood just jump out at ya.

Al
Old 12-26-2014, 11:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

As several mentioned...a good strong light and taking it slowly while tracking is the key to blood trailing.I have heard of mixing some Hydrogen Pyroxide in a spray bottle and spraying it on blood to follow a light blood trail...it causes the blood to foam up and see better!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.