HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Kind of confused. Help with white tail hunting? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/396531-kind-confused-help-white-tail-hunting.html)

Jrichard6817 12-21-2014 05:19 AM

Kind of confused. Help with white tail hunting?

so today i was out recovering my trail cams. I had put apples out in front of one of them. I scouted the area from top to bottom making sure there was no scat or trace of deer. today i returned (8 days later) and there was a ton of deer scat. there were prints everywhere. and the apples were gone. But nothing on my trail cam. The only thing that was on it was a picture of when dropping the apples. and a picture of me taking it down. So obviously it worked. but for some reason there was nothing on it after all that activity. Im kind of depressed because i got some great pictures last week. and now nothing. Any suggestions?

jrbsr 12-21-2014 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jrichard6817 (Post 4176513)
so today i was out recovering my trail cams. I had put apples out in front of one of them. I scouted the area from top to bottom making sure there was no scat or trace of deer. today i returned (8 days later) and there was a ton of deer scat. there were prints everywhere. and the apples were gone. But nothing on my trail cam. The only thing that was on it was a picture of when dropping the apples. and a picture of me taking it down. So obviously it worked. but for some reason there was nothing on it after all that activity. Im kind of depressed because i got some great pictures last week. and now nothing. Any suggestions?

Check your camera aim.
It happened to me, I found out my trailcam was to high.
I lowered it, and it started getting good pictures, and videos.
So check the angle, and height it is set at.

Good Luck.

Jrichard6817 12-21-2014 12:15 PM

Thank you jrbsr. i appreciate it

Jrichard6817 12-21-2014 12:16 PM

how high on a tree is a good height?

iayotehunter 12-21-2014 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jrichard6817 (Post 4176600)
how high on a tree is a good height?

Waist high has always performed flawless for me

GTOHunter 12-24-2014 06:19 AM

Most my trail cameras are only about 2-3 feet off the ground,if it's good flat ground You can also put a small stick behind it to tilt it downwards a little also.If it's on a hill You may have to go lower if the Game is traveling down-hill or put it higher and aim it upward if the Game is coming in from up higher?

Bob H in NH 12-29-2014 06:17 AM

I agree, check camera aim height. Remember a deer is only about 3 feet tall. Does your camera have any aiming indicator/check? Many have a "test mode" or some such where a red light shows when it would have triggered. Use this and when you walk infront of it, make sure you bend over to get lower.

I set my camera's about 2 feet off the ground, then walk infront of them and see if it looks right, where "right" means it looks like it is NOT looking me dead in the face, but lower.

alleyyooper 12-30-2014 02:43 AM

The white-tailed deer is highly variable in size, generally following Bergmann's rule that the average size is larger further away from the Equator. North American male deer (also known as a buck or stag) usually weighs 60 to 130 kg (130 to 290 Length ranges from 95 to 220 cm (37 to 87 in), including a tail of 10 to 36.5 cm (3.9 to 14.4 in), and the shoulder height is 53 to 120 cm (21 to 47 in).[

:D Al

HuntressMO 12-31-2014 05:40 AM

When it's really cold out and my camera batteries are getting low, I'll get a few pics right off the bat, but nothing in the days to follow.
Like some of the others stated, it could be that the aim or level was a bit off on your camera. Whatever the case may be, I hope you get it figured out. Good luck! :)

Wilcam47 01-02-2015 11:10 AM

could be your camera's sensor is going out...I had a camera started missing pics when I knew there was game there..ended up being the camera was going out.