HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Bowhunters - How long are broadheads good for? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/396466-bowhunters-how-long-broadheads-good.html)

staywarmguy 12-17-2014 07:15 AM

Bowhunters - How long are broadheads good for?

I've always wondered how long I should keep my broadheads. Do they get dull from not being used for a period of time? I've heard they may rust but not sure if that's true... Anyone have any advice?

mj1967 12-17-2014 07:21 AM

I just bought some new spitfires this year....I kept my old ones for 4 years...I keep mine clean and sharp....I killed 2 deer with the same broadhead 2 years ago. They will last a while if you take car of them.

rockport 12-17-2014 07:37 AM

I think if you have them in your hand you can probably answer your question better than anybody on here can.

Wingbone 12-17-2014 03:31 PM

They don't get dull by themselves. They get dull by being pulled out and replaced in a quiver repeatedly, by being bumped by other broadheads, etc. If they aren't used, they won't go dull.

archeryelk1 12-18-2014 06:26 AM

I put replacement blades in my Muzzy's every year. I carry 3 arrows in the quiver and after a season of being in the quiver, vibrating against the foam on the atv ride in and out, plus the first arrow being pulled out and replaced several times, they are definitely duller than when first put on the head. I keep meaning to look into a sharpener but haven't remembered to get one yet. Think about when your shaving...if you cut yourself with a dull razor you've been using for a while, it takes nothing to get it to stop bleeding. But cut yourself with a new sharp razor and it takes forever to get that sucker to stop. The more it cleanly cuts, the harder for it to clot.

GTOHunter 12-18-2014 09:52 AM

My fixed 3-bladed NAP HellRazors are still good and I've had them 5 years or longer.Just keep them clean and sharpened and they should be good a long time.My mechanical broadheads get bad looking if I shoot a Deer with them so those only get used 1 time if they've passed thru an Animal.

salukipv1 12-18-2014 01:58 PM

mechanicals, rage 2 blade, I check the rubber o rings for tears/rips that can develop as rubber ages... and replace.

turke7 12-18-2014 05:13 PM

If you take good care of them they can easily last a couple of years. Keep them clean and dry when not in use and after being used clean them off, resharpen them, or occasionally replace the blades on a mechanical. A single mechanical broad head can be resharpened and take a couple animals before the blades need to be replaced. The heads themselves don't need to be replaced until the tip wears down, they rust, hit a rock and it breaks etc. Fixed blades can just be resharpened until you've sharpened it down too much, rust it, or break it.

RWK 12-21-2014 07:24 AM

If you are worried about rust put some vasiline on them.

SecondChance 12-21-2014 09:35 AM

Are you talking mechanicals or fixed? mech's will stay sharper longer due to being closed and not contacting the foam of the quiver like fixed. I reshoot my GrimReapers after just a touch up to resharpen them and I have several that are going on their 3-4th animal. As was said, if they are fixed, just a LIGHT coating of Vaseline will do the just fine. Take them out of the quiver if caught in a rain andlet dry will help as will the quiver also. That and trees and rocks have a tendancy to shorten the life as well!!!!!!!:hit: