Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

First Deer - Button Buck

Old 12-15-2014, 08:24 AM
Spike

Congrats on your first deer, you've accomplished what others only dream of!
Old 12-15-2014, 08:47 AM
Spike

your first deer is like the first time you had sex. Neither of them are usually trophies.

Last edited by X_Rayted35; 12-15-2014 at 09:00 AM.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats!

Learn how to judge a doe from a button buck, and move on.

I think years ago we bought a poster from QDMA about judging does/button bucks, they probably still sell them, nice poster to hang in deer camp etc...
Old 12-15-2014, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't worry to much about shooting a button buck.

The bucks that really need to be spared if your managing for big bucks is those nice 2 year old bucks. People shooting those is where it really starts effecting the heard IMO.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on your first. Enjoy your harvest.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:46 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Challynger
I got my first deer on Friday. I thought it was a doe, but turned out to be a button buck. Everyone's been congratulating me on my first deer, but I have mixed feelings. I really wish I just got a doe so the button buck could have had a chance to grow into a nice big buck. I guess these types of things are just part of hunting.
DONT worry about it! The happiness, excitement and "rite of passage" that comes from killing your first deer overrides ANYTHING that has to do with it's being a buttonhead. Congrats!
Old 12-15-2014, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats! Look at the bright side, if that doe has twin fawns, you allowed 2 more deer to be born and still got some venison
Old 12-15-2014, 05:29 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks everyone for the replies. It's definitely a learning experience. I am happy to have meat in the freezer. Hopefully during the late season I'll get a nice big bruiser!
Old 12-16-2014, 06:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Challynger
Thanks everyone for the replies. It's definitely a learning experience. I am happy to have meat in the freezer. Hopefully during the late season I'll get a nice big bruiser!
Don't get so wrapped up about the antlers. Enjoy deer hunting for what it is. How much antler a buck has isn't really important in the big scheme of things. I've always believed if the only reason you are hunting is for a big set of antlers then you need to assess your priorities. It is the intangible things about hunting that you will remember long after the antlers are covered with dust. I'd rather take a spike or a forkhorn in the company of some good friends or family than shoot the biggest buck in the woods at some guided facility.

Feel free to disagree if you wish.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Couldn't have said it any better than that flags!!! I was out in Wyoming for 7 weeks this year and only shot a few prairie dogs myself. However, being with friends and helping them take game and just being outdoors seeing what God made for us made it as great a Fall as ever!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.