Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

mchenry county deer hunting

Old 12-10-2014, 11:15 AM
Spike

Default mchenry county deer hunting

OK so I just moved to Woodstock from New Mexico and I got lucky and found a farm about 60 acres for pretty cheap near Harvard but now the crops are gone the deer are as well is this common? Suggestions?
Old 12-12-2014, 05:01 PM
Spike

Really 51 views and no one will say anything
Old 12-12-2014, 05:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

We need a lot more information than what you gave to even begin answering what you asked like where the heck is Woodstock, what is the surrounding property (terrain, food sources, cover), etc. If there is nothing to keep them around that place other than crops before they're harvested, they're going to leave and go where there is food and cover, as well as water to some extent. Therefore, if they leave before the hunting seasons start or are over because the 60 sucks after crops are gone, you'll need to plant crops or have someone else do that so it will keep them there if you buy the place.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-12-2014 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-13-2014, 04:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Woodstock...,NY??????? If that's the case ive hunted near there and might be able to help.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
We need a lot more information than what you gave to even begin answering what you asked like where the heck is Woodstock
Yeah, that is kind of what I was thinking too. First thing in my mind was Woodstock NY but then he also mentioned New Mexico. So I didn't know if he was talking about the state of New Mexico or if there is some town named New mexico.

To the OP, at least tell us what part of the country you're talking about. We ain't mind readers.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:28 AM
Fork Horn

Doubt they are "gone"
Old 12-15-2014, 10:39 AM
Typical Buck

Since there is a Woodstock and Harvard and McHenry County in northern Illinois, I'd have to say that's what the OP is referring to. McHenry is in the CWD zone, so the population is probably down due to aggressive herd control measures. I think it's pretty common for the deer to change their patterns of behavior after the crops are gone, and if there's nothing else to keep them there, they will move. The general consensus among hunters around here is that herd numbers are down generally throughout the state.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:27 AM
Spike

Sorry I wasn't clear that it was in Illinois I didn't think NY had a mchenry county with both Woodstock and Harvard towns in them. Must be common in the Midwest. But I have a property next to me that has a large pond and tons of cover and I haven't seen one even cross out of range. Did the dnr really kill that many?
Old 12-16-2014, 11:39 AM
Spike

Also my property grows grass hay and soy beans the properties around me grow corn
Old 12-16-2014, 10:29 PM
Spike

Would it be worth rattling or grunting this late?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.