HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   One thing related to deer hunting that amazes me... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/396228-one-thing-related-deer-hunting-amazes-me.html)

Father Forkhorn 12-08-2014 08:14 AM

One thing related to deer hunting that amazes me...

How quickly a gut pile disappears.

I got mine last evening, and was rolling out of the woods after field dressing at about 6:15.

I went there this morning to retrieve a chair I had to leave in the woods. Not even a speck of blood where I dressed the deer. You wouldn't have known we were there from the looks of it.

mj1967 12-08-2014 09:24 AM

Critters love us hunters!

Topgun 3006 12-08-2014 09:28 AM

Sounds like the OP has some yotes around, as that is what I would imagine got most of it.

buckman11 12-08-2014 10:17 AM

Its strange isnt it. Ive had em gone the next morning after I killed one the night before, and ive also had em sit up to a week.

tankerchief 12-08-2014 05:19 PM

Two interesting events happened to me showing how animals adapt to human actions. Several years ago I dropped two does in Warren County, NJ. I dress both of them out and dragged one to my car. On the way down the hill I passed a fox heading up to the gut pile that was decidedly annoyed that he had to step off the trail for me. When I returned to the second deer; he took about six steps and sat down waiting for me to leave before he went back to work on the pile. Didn't show any interest in the deer. Must have known to leave it alone for his own well being.:)

Another time I was busy dressing a deer when a noise above me made me look up. In the tree above me was 4 turkey vultures waiting for me to finish. Have to admit I hurried that job up and got out of there. Those birds eyeing me was a little unnerving.

Ridge Runner 12-08-2014 05:35 PM

I watched a blackbear clean up a gut pile within 2 hours of the deer being dressed.
RR

Topgun 3006 12-08-2014 05:42 PM

Many people hunting out in the Rockies say that the grizzlies are now conditioned to come to a shot knowing that there is probably a free meal for them!

Sheridan 12-08-2014 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006 (Post 4174104)
Many people hunting out in the Rockies say that the grizzlies are now conditioned to come to a shot knowing that there is probably a free meal for them!

+1

You beat me to the punch !!!

redgreen 12-08-2014 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006 (Post 4174104)

Very true that.

gjersy 12-08-2014 10:12 PM

A few years ago i shot a buck on my field gut it & dragged it under my stand, then waited for a doe. Almost immediately a bunch of Bald Eagles & Ravens showed up, they were so noisey, that no other deer would ever come around. Anyway they had that gut pile gone in maybe 15-30min! Some ate it on the spot, while others grabbed some & flew off, they were fighting the whole time. I was happy that they were quick and out of there.