Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
One thing related to deer hunting that amazes me... >

One thing related to deer hunting that amazes me...

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

One thing related to deer hunting that amazes me...

Old 12-09-2014, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Yep, we only shot as a last resort like I said and it didn't happen very many times in over ten years that we ran them. The coat trick was the best was most of the time and that didn't really happen that often, as our two along with the toher that a friend owned some dang good dogs. Sounds like that old dog of yours figured out real quick to let the younguns do the job and then take the glory, ha! That's funny, but animals are a lot smarter than most people give them credit for, especially our young "expert" from MD!
We never tried a coat. They would just be laying where the truck was parked. I say they but it was mostly just the one male dog. He was a damn good hunter but he didn't know when to quit which I guess comes with the territory. His name was smoke. He lost an eye one night and wanted nothing more than to keep hunting. Ole smoke was something else. He ended up having to be put down to early in his career he was just so beat/crippled up.......he loved every minute of it though. He just wouldn't have it any other way. We had to dig him out of the ground on several occasions after he forced himself all they way into holes after coons and couldn't back out.

Last edited by rockport; 12-09-2014 at 07:46 AM.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:40 AM
Typical Buck

We also have used a shot to bring in our beagles and they most certainly would come in. If we would jump a rabbit where the dogs couldnt see it, and shoot at it, they would instantly be there trying to figure out witch direction it went.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:50 AM
Fork Horn

so wheres the proof about the griz? mr expert topgun
Old 12-09-2014, 07:52 AM
Fork Horn

you guys can believe the heresay about grizzly if you want to i dont buy into ot
Old 12-09-2014, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by westMDbowhunter
you guys can believe the heresay about grizzly if you want to i dont buy into ot
Do you agree you were very wrong about dogs yet?
Old 12-09-2014, 07:54 AM
Fork Horn

DELETED by JW STOP THE BASHING

Last edited by JW; 12-10-2014 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:57 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by rockport
Do you agree you were very wrong about dogs yet?
i said in my post i had never heard of anyone using a gunshot to call back in a lost dog, didnt know people did that.

all the old guys around here use metal whistles with a big pea so i dont know what to tell you. thats great yall do that and im glad its helped. i wasnt really wrong though. a whistle works just as good as a gunshot.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:23 AM
Typical Buck

I could never prove it but a couple years ago there was a family of coyotes living close to where Dad and i dove hunted. We would clean our doves next to the field and the next time we would go there would be lots of coyote tracks in the silage field where we hunted. This happened several times so when coyote season opened up I called the field and had 2 coyotes respond immediately. I shot at one at 250 yards in a cross wind 3 times before it finally trotted off. When I was leaving I looked back to where it had ran and it was just standing there watching me leave at around 400 yards on the crest of a hill. I decided to double back and when I crest that hill there where 4 coyotes on the back side just kinda running around. Well 2 more misses on me and I was out of ammo.
One of my worst days of shooting ever but the morel of the story is I believe those coyotes had got used to dad and i shooting doves and getting a meal afterwards and where not concerned with the gun fire.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Wow MD you sure know how to look foolish! Children learn by watching and listening to their elders. You should try it some time. Grizzlies that live in areas where deer and other big game animals are hunted regularly most certainly do learn to associate the sound of a gun shot to a free meal from the leavings. Unfortunately they sometimes aren't content to wait for the leavings. The fact that you of the ripe old age of 22 never heard of it, isn't surprising since many people don't. However I never saw others want to argue about it. If you think you are making an impression, you are, however, it is not the one you really want to make.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:33 AM
Fork Horn

so youve had black bears come to you after you shot a deer? like immediately after as if they came to the sound of it? no you haven't nobody has. they come several hours later to the scent. out west they probably take all day getting an animal out and if they see a grizzly he would probably tell everyone oh he came to the gunshot when clearly thats not the case. bears are guess what everybody? scavengers!!! bingo, dont need to learn anything from you guys. yall will believe anything you hear on tv. bear smells blood-bear comes to blood.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.