Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
One thing related to deer hunting that amazes me... >

One thing related to deer hunting that amazes me...

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

One thing related to deer hunting that amazes me...

Old 12-09-2014, 04:52 AM
Fork Horn

i really doubt any animal would ever come towards a gun shot, more likely the hunter downs his game and right there instantly the smell of blood hits the air. how long does he wait before attempting to recover his game? half an hour? an hour? and then how long does it take to gut and skin an elk? and how many times do they walk back and forth packing meat?
its clear to me what the bears are attracted to, the scent.
it's a funny little thought though... it sure gets repeated a lot.
didn't i hear that on one of those alaska shows my grandpa watches?

it's usually the grays that tear up our gut piles! next time you shoot a deer set some coilsprings in the ground
Old 12-09-2014, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by westMDbowhunter
i really doubt any animal would ever come towards a gun shot, more likely the hunter downs his game and right there instantly the smell of blood hits the air. how long does he wait before attempting to recover his game? half an hour? an hour? and then how long does it take to gut and skin an elk? and how many times do they walk back and forth packing meat?
its clear to me what the bears are attracted to, the scent.
it's a funny little thought though... it sure gets repeated a lot.
didn't i hear that on one of those alaska shows my grandpa watches?

it's usually the grays that tear up our gut piles! next time you shoot a deer set some coilsprings in the ground
Hunting dogs will absolutely condition to come to gun shots.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if grizzly bears were doing the same.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:12 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by rockport
Hunting dogs will absolutely condition to come to gun shots.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if grizzly bears were doing the same.
where are all these hunting dogs that are conditioned to come to gunshots?
I've never had an animal come running to me after i shot a gun, have you?
has anybody?

No, every animals instinct is to run, which is why people have to use blank guns to train dogs. because otherwise they would run away.

are you trying to tell me hunters use gunshots as a come command?
if they did they would be stupid because their dogs would obviously run away from them.

foxpros new big bang predator call: yes friends just like every time you shoot a deer and a grizzly bear comes barreling out of the woods at you. well we here at foxpro have replicated that. no bullet wasted and you dont even need a deer! so come on and ring that dinner bell.
msrp $599
would that surprise you?
Old 12-09-2014, 06:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

has anybody?

No, every animals instinct is to run, which is why people have to use blank guns to train dogs. because otherwise they would run away.

if they did they would be stupid because their dogs would obviously run away from them.

foxpros new big bang predator call: yes friends just like every time you shoot a deer and a grizzly bear comes barreling out of the woods at you. well we here at foxpro have replicated that. no bullet wasted and you dont even need a deer! so come on and ring that dinner bell.
msrp $599
would that surprise you?
You have come up with an amazing amount of BS in just this one post, LOL! First, yes, we used to shoot our guns as a last resort when our coonhounds or beagles, especially our coonhounds, would get on something and we'd loose track of them. If that failed and they were so far they couldn't hear the shot, more than once we left a coat on the ground and they'd be there when we went back to get them the next morning. My DD pointer that just died in July never had a shot fired around him when he was a pup, just some loud banging of pans at meal time, etc. He never once flinched when we started him on birds and when someone would shoot at a distance many times he'd want to head for the sound figuring there was a bird to retrieve or chase down. When he'd run a long way on a wounded pheasant and get out so far I'd lose track of him just one shot would let him know where I was and back he'd come! How old are you and what experience do you have in various types of hunting because you just made a fool of yourself with that post?!
Old 12-09-2014, 06:45 AM
Fork Horn

I've heard of the coat thing, or hat or whatever.
smart idea and normally works, especially with wool
i've owned a few beagles
one was rabbit hound association (i dont know what that is just the lady i bought her from gave me the papers, i guess they just know the dogs lineage or whatever)
your dog was a special case, not to be afraid. none of the hound guys here use a gunshot to bring in their dogs. the serious guys use gps collars now. and have always just whistled or hooped, never fired their gun. at the most all ive ever heard is a pea whistle. why waste a shell? when a pea whistle is plenty loud.

youre the one reapeating bs you heard on alaskan wilderness shows as if it were the gospel. do you have any eveidence that grizzlies come to gunshots? no? then its BS!
Old 12-09-2014, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

has anybody?

msrp $599
would that surprise you?
lol you are very wrong and seem to have no idea what your talking about.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Rockport---Yea, but he knows everything because he stayed in a Holiday Inn Express, LOL! I wonder if he's ever hunted west of MD in his life, however long that's been! Seems as though he had a big disagreement with a bunch of us a year or so ago and then ended up changing his username to what he posts under now. Not sure, but I think this is the same guy! Anyway, I've hunted out in Wyoming most years since the early 90s and as the years go by more and more guys are chasing grizzlies off their kill sites before they even field dress their elk. That means the animals are associating the shots to an easy meal because there is very little smell for them to come to before the animal is even butchered!

EDIT: Yep, it's the same guy and his picture under his username makes it appear he may be in his 20s. Heck, I've got a pile of longjohns older than that!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-09-2014 at 07:06 AM.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
First, yes, we used to shoot our guns as a last resort when our coonhounds or beagles, especially our coonhounds, would get on something and we'd loose track of them.
That is really a bad move but I admit Ive also resorted to it quite a few times.

Coonhounds are really bad about it. If you are not careful they will simply learn to reverse the role and you become the one finding the coons while they sit around and wait to here a gun shot so they can come get the coon.

I'm sure you already know all that which is why you used it as last resort but it might be helpful to others.

We had a female coon hound that once she got old she would just lay down and wait for the other dogs to tree then she would go whip them and claim the tree and take all the credit. She had no idea we could see exactly what she was doing.

That ole girl ended up getting a special retirement home in the heated shop and lived to be around 20 years old. She was a hell of a dog in her day.

I always got a kick out of those driven old coon hounds that we would have to leave overnight. They would be laying where the truck was parked the next morning with just absolutely nothing left in the tank.

Last edited by rockport; 12-09-2014 at 07:13 AM.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Rockport---Yea, but he knows everything because he stayed in a Holiday Inn Express, LOL! I wonder if he's ever hunted west of MD in his life, however long that's been! Seems as though he had a big disagreement with a bunch of us a year or so ago and then ended up changing his username to what he posts under now. Not sure, but I think this is the same guy! Anyway, I've hunted out in Wyoming most years since the early 90s and as the years go by more and more guys are chasing grizzlies off their kill sites before they even field dress their elk. That means the animals are associating the shots to an easy meal because there is very little smell for them to come to before the animal is even butchered!

PS: Yep, it's the same guy and his picture under his username makes it appear he's in his 20s. Heck, I've got a pile of longjohns older than that!
I don't know anything at all to speak of about bears but that doesn't surprise me a bit.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, we only shot as a last resort like I said and it didn't happen very many times in over ten years that we ran them. The coat trick was the best way to retrieve them most of the time and that didn't really happen that often, as our two along with the others that a friend owned were some dang good dogs. Sounds like that old dog of yours figured out real quick to let the younguns do the job and then take the glory, ha! That's funny, but animals are a lot smarter than most people give them credit for, especially our young "expert" from MD!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-09-2014 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Spelling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.