HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   need Wasp/Hornet help! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/396195-need-wasp-hornet-help.html)

X_Rayted35 12-06-2014 11:42 AM

need Wasp/Hornet help!

I have an enclosed wooden stand. Really nice stand with a tin roof so its perfect for hunting in a light rain. Ended up buying 2 of them but only having a Hornet problem with one. Its sitting right in front of some tall pines with a row of 4 year old planted pines to the right. 60 acre field is directly in front of the stand with tree line on the left. I always see deer there including some really good looking young bucks already outside the ears.

But every year about November and December wasps and hornets just hang out in there. They dont build a nest they just fly around. 2 years ago I went up there one morning before the sun came up. For some reason I just happened to shine my flashlight into one of the corners. The entire thing was big ass black swamp hornets like 2 inches long. I damn near had a heart attack and I think I hit maybe 1 step on the way down.

This past week its been the same thing. Wasps flying around but not building a nest. I was going to hunt it yesterday but moved to another stand when 3 of them started walking across the shooting ledge of the main window. Just went back there 30 mins ago with some Spray and used the entire can. Probably killed a dozen but didnt get them all. I cant see a nest anywhere, either inside or outside.

So what can I do about them? I thought about getting a caulk gun and sealing up all the cracks with some silicon. I think they were getting up inside the roof to stay warm. If that doesnt work then what? Anyone have any ingenious ideas for dealing with Hornets?

MZS 12-06-2014 02:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I would say seal them out. Caulk cracks and cover big gaps with fiberglass window screen. Have some removable covers over your shooting windows.

Here is what I found once when I opened the door on a tower stand!

X_Rayted35 12-06-2014 03:11 PM

thats kinda cool. did you keep it?

Ridge Runner 12-06-2014 05:56 PM

if your certain there is no nest there you are not in danger unless you come in contact and mash one accidently, they are not there to harass the hunter guy, if you only killed 12 with a whole can of spray you need to sight in
RR

MZS 12-06-2014 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by X_Rayted35 (Post 4173754)
thats kinda cool. did you keep it?

No, I sprayed it down to make sure it was empty. Was not wanting to mess with it too much! It was warm out but we already had some freezing weather.

turke7 12-06-2014 07:13 PM

I'd say the first step is to seal it if you can. The issue is fixing the problem without scaring off wildlife with scent etc. You may want to buy some hornet traps were it has an attractant and the fly into it but aren't able to escape. Like this: http://www.amazon.com/Rescue-YJTR-DT...QK6Y89FE6D1EAN

If that clears it enough, than seal it up with silicone to help keep others out. Or put up the traps, then in a couple days spray it with wasp/bug killer, and then seal it up as it should be pretty well cleared up at least temporarily.

Topgun 3006 12-06-2014 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner (Post 4173766)
if your certain there is no nest there you are not in danger unless you come in contact and mash one accidently, they are not there to harass the hunter guy, if you only killed 12 with a whole can of spray you need to sight inRR

Now that comment is down right funny and I don't care who you are, LOL!!! It takes an airtight stand to keep those suckers out, as I used to have the same problem in tower stands down in the brush country of Texas. You can spray all you want to kill what's there, but they will keep coming in unless you seal every dang place tight and I mean tight!

JW 12-07-2014 12:27 AM

Is this stand in northern WISCONSIN
Seeing that many insects in a ball just means they are cold and balled together for warmth.
if you would just give the blind a 2 second spray treatment ought to kill any wasp or yellow jacket.
I am suprised you had this problem at this time of yr.

WV Hunter 12-07-2014 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner (Post 4173766)
if your certain there is no nest there you are not in danger unless you come in contact and mash one accidently, they are not there to harass the hunter guy, if you only killed 12 with a whole can of spray you need to sight in
RR

LMAO RR!

I can offer no help as I never have to deal with bees in my stands other than the random small wasp nest, but boy that was funny! :D

Ridge Runner 12-07-2014 07:10 AM

the numbers being stated are not just random bees, there is a nest there somewhere. go there in august and locate the nest when they are all flying, kill the nest and the bees will disperse.
RR