Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

need Wasp/Hornet help!

Old 12-07-2014, 08:50 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Yellow jackets and Bald Faced hornets build a new nest each year. They do not reuse!
Best time to treat or spray a nest is at night as you will have 99% back 8n the nest.
Dousing aka wetting the insect with spray such as you indicated you have done is overkill and will not kill the insect quicker. Best way is to squash the insect by stepping on it.
if you get stung a wasp or hornet can sting you multiple times while a honey only can sting once.
FYI
JW
Old 12-07-2014, 08:51 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Yellow jackets and Bald Faced hornets build a new nest each year. They do not reuse!
Best time to treat or spray a nest is at night as you will have 99% back 8n the nest.
Dousing aka wetting the insect with spray such as you indicated you have done is overkill and will not kill the insect quicker. Best way is to squash the insect by stepping on it.
if you get stung a wasp or hornet can sting you multiple times while a honey only can sting once.
FYI
JW
Old 12-07-2014, 08:53 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Oops sounds as if the main poster is down south
Old 12-07-2014, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

here is how I kill bee's nest, works any time of day, have never been stung while spraying, have been lit up a few times finding the nest
use the foaming bee spray, first blast should in the event its a paper ball nest, paste the hole shut, immediately wet the entire nest, walk away, the nest will die, any living bees will dispearse within 1 day, wasp nests are the same, just takes less spray, don't worry about individual bees, kill the nest, the bees will leave and die.
RR
Old 12-07-2014, 08:51 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
the numbers being stated are not just random bees, there is a nest there somewhere. go there in august and locate the nest when they are all flying, kill the nest and the bees will disperse.
RR
there was a big nest under the seat back in august. got about 40 of them. I saw 2 or 3 wasps in the stand when it was cold but It was almost like they were hibernating. They were up in the corners where the 2x4s met the roof in the cracks. They were wedged up in there with just their rear end hanging out. Even banging on the stand did not rile them up. But this past week it warmed up to mid 60s so maybe they became active thinking it was already Spring.

The weird thing is its only this stand and its been different species each time. I dont have any hornet problems with my metal stands. The first time 2 years ago it was big black hornets. The nest I found back at start of September was your typical brown wasp with the dangly legs. Then the other day it was some kind of hornet that was sort of rust colored. Im just thinking it got cold and they needed shelter. I didnt mind having the ones up in the corners sleeping it off until Spring. Its when they are active I get freaked out. I would rather sit in a stand with a rattle snake than some wasps because snakes dont bother me at all.

I did have some guy tell me something interesting. Whether its true or not I dont know. He said paint the inside of it a Carolina Blue like the sky. He said they get confused thinking the inside of the stand is actually the sky and they wont build a nest. But Im a Duke fan so that aint gonna happen.

Last edited by X_Rayted35; 12-07-2014 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

well believe the sky blue theory if ya want, I'd call BS, I would try this, a week to 10 days before ya use the stand, set off a bee bomb and close it up. should fix the problem and the spray should disapate before season.
RR
Old 12-08-2014, 03:25 AM
Spike

on a side note I just identified a ridiculously big wasp I saw in the swamp back in September. Tarantula Hawk Wasp. Kinda relieved because it seems they are fairly docile. I was worried it was some kind of super mutated killer wasp that makes Japanese Hornets look like lady bugs.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Similar situation down here in SE Ala. when a warm spell swings through the winter months. But usually they are all gone by January.

Wasps are just trying to survive the cold. The sun hitting the tin roof warms up the tin and the wasps usually pile up along the edges and corners. As the day warms up their metabolism kicks in gear and they will start flying a bit. There are no nests. Just wasps. I have not had any of them become aggressive as they do defending a nest. I generally ignore them.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:36 AM
Spike

my Dad had an interesting comment. There were also a lot of ladybugs in the stand. like at least 100. He said maybe they were feeding on them because there were lots of dead lady bugs on the floor and most of the wasps were walking along the floor.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:21 AM
JW
Super Moderator

The lady bug is the Asian lady beetle and they over winter as an adult so they can mate and start the complete life cycle in the spring.
One product you might try.....Raid Fumigator and one bomb unit is way more than enough. Leave all the windows and doors sealed
Then i would open and air for days but this treatment would be done a good month before opening.
The total release aerosol foggers have way too much masking fragrance so I'd stay away from those

just my 2 wearing my past consumer product hat

JW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.