HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Where do you put your backpack when you get into your climber (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/396193-where-do-you-put-your-backpack-when-you-get-into-your-climber.html)

ABarOfSoap 12-06-2014 09:42 AM

Where do you put your backpack when you get into your climber

Where do you put your backpack when you get into your climbing treestand? I have a bow holder mounted onto the side of the top shooting rest and I am thinking of buying another one for the other side to hang my backpack off of. What do you guys do with your pack? I know another option is one of the screw in hooks that go into the tree but that's just another thing you need to carry with you.

nchawkeye 12-06-2014 12:20 PM

First, I pull it up once I am up and situated...I have 2 small packs on my treestand, my Thermacell with extra pads and fuel is in one..In the other I have my strap to attach me to the tree, some extra pins for my stand and 3 extra folding screws, they are about an inch and a half long and 3/4 inch in diameter...Once I pull my backpack up, it hangs on one of them...

I don't climb with extra stuff hanging on my climber, it affects the balance and to me that could be not safe...Also, anything hanging on the stand once situated is just in the way and something else to hit, swing and bring attention to you...

ojibwa 12-06-2014 06:37 PM

I slide mine over my easy hanger before I hang my bow on it..

WV Hunter 12-07-2014 05:43 AM

I use a fanny/waist pack instead, and I just clip it around the stand back near the tree. Hangs out of the way, and to me its easier to pack in with a climber than a backpack.

alleyyooper 12-07-2014 07:07 AM

If you need a back pack you carry way to much crap out on your hunt.
Every thing I take to the woods for a days hunt I can fit in the pockets of my pants or coat. Except the thermos and that is carried over my shoulder on a sling I made.

:D Al

ojibwa 12-07-2014 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by alleyyooper (Post 4173821)
If you need a back pack you carry way to much crap out on your hunt.
Every thing I take to the woods for a days hunt I can fit in the pockets of my pants or coat. Except the thermos and that is carried over my shoulder on a sling I made.

:D Al

I am with you I carry less and less every year, I am almost to the point I don't need a back pack.. :party0005:

tankerchief 12-07-2014 01:25 PM

I've whittled down what I carry to a fanny pack that is supported by shoulder straps. I have to hike up steep hills both in NY & NJ so I strap all my layers of clothes to the pack. Once I'm in my stand I place a hook on my non-shooting side that is easily accessible while I am sitting. That way I minimize any movement when I do need something (water bottle, grunt call, etc.) The less I have out of the pack the less I'm likely to play with (yeah there's a little ADHD there) and have it get in the way at the wrong time.

mj1967 12-08-2014 06:31 AM

I use a fanny pack.....it is probably not the most popular item for packing items in and out of the woods, but it is really all I need. I can put everything in need in one of the many pockets on the fanny pack. I tend to agree with some other posts.....if you take a backpack with you to the stand, you have too much stuff to carry!!

Mojotex 12-08-2014 03:06 PM

I don't hang anything off my climber. I keep my pack on as I climb ... it is a small day pack. I bring my firearm or X-Bow up after I am settle in using a lift rope. I carry one screw-in "step" ... screw it into the tree and hang my pack.

d80hunter 12-08-2014 03:31 PM

I don't use a backpack when I use a climbing tree stand. I have attached a small fanny pack to the side rail for a snack and a bottle of water. Extra clothes get stuffed the seat cushion and worn before I ascend the tree. Finally I hang a pee bottle on the rail. I am good for dusk till dawn like this.

I do carry a small back pack for clothes when I hunt a fixed tree stand but it stays on the ground. Fanny packs don't work for me they get in the way of my revolver holster and I got cargo pockets for small items.