Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Two Deer Down During Rut

Old 12-05-2014, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
Drop the doe and stay in your stand. It's basically like a sleeping doe decoy. The buck doesn't know or probably care that the doe is just laying there. They will at least stop and sniff.

And shooting, even with a rifle, won't blow the area out for long. Especially when the rut is on. The buck you may see in 15 minutes could have been a mile away when you fired the shot. I've also had deer in front of me when someone shot 100 yards away. They look around for a few seconds and that's about it. They don't know what it is, or where it came from.
The problem with that is a local doe might walk by you 10 different times in which case you are cutting your odds by 10 if you shoot her the first time.

A doe that walks by 10X is 10x more likely to bring a buck by.

Last edited by rockport; 12-05-2014 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-07-2014, 04:53 PM
Spike

Drop the doe and stay in your stand. It's basically like a sleeping doe decoy. The buck doesn't know or probably care that the doe is just laying there. They will at least stop and sniff.

And shooting, even with a rifle, won't blow the area out for long. Especially when the rut is on. The buck you may see in 15 minutes could have been a mile away when you fired the shot. I've also had deer in front of me when someone shot 100 yards away. They look around for a few seconds and that's about it. They don't know what it is, or where it came from.
That makes a lot of sense! I have seen the same with deer just standing there after guns being shot. My buddy and I shot two deer out of the same herd with guns one time after they didn't run off after the first one was shot and dropped.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll put it this way. If you want to set your goals on a big mature buck you are already playing a low % game and if your blasting doe during the rut your chances are only getting smaller. If you don't care that much sure blast whatever but saying it won't matter is simply wrong.....way wrong.

I can't believe somebody would actually give the advice that firing your gun won't hurt your deer hunting. I mean sure sometimes they don't have a clue what just happened but from my experience a much higher % of the time they run like hell.

Sure that mature buck might be a mile away and he also might be right behind you.

Its not a death sentence to shoot doe during the rut but and like I said if you don't care that much no worries but if you want to be series about harvesting real mature bucks with any consistency you can't just use a bunch of tactics that MIGHT not hurt your already slim chances.

Last edited by rockport; 12-07-2014 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:01 AM
Spike

That's a good point! We will have to try that sometime if we see a doe we think is hot. Rather than avoiding them and wait for a doe that isn't hot...drop her and see what happens!
Old 12-17-2014, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wink

Originally Posted by rockport
I'll put it this way. If you want to set your goals on a big mature buck you are already playing a low % game and if your blasting doe during the rut your chances are only getting smaller. If you don't care that much sure blast whatever but saying it won't matter is simply wrong.....way wrong.

I can't believe somebody would actually give the advice that firing your gun won't hurt your deer hunting. I mean sure sometimes they don't have a clue what just happened but from my experience a much higher % of the time they run like hell.

Sure that mature buck might be a mile away and he also might be right behind you.

Its not a death sentence to shoot doe during the rut but and like I said if you don't care that much no worries but if you want to be series about harvesting real mature bucks with any consistency you can't just use a bunch of tactics that MIGHT not hurt your already slim chances.
I agree with this line of thinking, but I've also dropped a doe after watching her get bred by a buck and had the buck run out and stand 10 yds from where I dropped her. I think you can throw all logic out the window when the rut is in full swing.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by wallhangr
I agree with this line of thinking, but I've also dropped a doe after watching her get bred by a buck and had the buck run out and stand 10 yds from where I dropped her. I think you can throw all logic out the window when the rut is in full swing.
That was nice of you to let him get "it" done before wacking her, LOL!
Old 12-17-2014, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oh that absolutely happens. Ive shot doe and had bucks run up and try to bread them BUT that doesn't make it a good strategy.

This year the town where I went to school (Pittsfield IL) had a big buck run across the wal mart parking lot.....That doesn't make wal mart a good place to hang your stand.

There are things that are good strategies and then there are things you might get away with. Shooting a hot doe while buck hunting is the later.

Last edited by rockport; 12-17-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
Oh that absolutely happens. Ive shot doe and had bucks run up and try to bread them BUT that doesn't make it a good strategy.

This year the town where I went to school (Pittsfield IL) had a big buck run across the wal mart parking lot.....That doesn't make wal mart a good place to hang your stand.

There are things that are good strategies and then there are things you might get away with. Shooting a hot doe while buck hunting is the later.
Like I said - I'm in agreement with you on not making it a practice.

I've been in that parking lot! Drive thru Pittsfield when I go back to my hometown.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like I said - I'm in agreement with you on not making it a practice.

I've been in that parking lot! Drive thru Pittsfield when I go back to my hometown.
What is your home town?
Old 12-17-2014, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

You bet it works! During the rut all bets are off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.