Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Two Deer Down During Rut

Old 12-04-2014, 04:23 PM
Spike

Default Two Deer Down During Rut

This year during our annual rut vacation we managed to get 2 deer down. This is a time we look forward to every year not only for the great hunting but for the great memories we make. This was the first buck my Uncle has shot with a bow in probably 5 years, you won't believe what he was doing when it showed up! Any of you had that happen to you before? Finally, after getting blanked last year I was thrilled to get this doe on the ground. Just wish the camera didn't mess up on the focus! Also, I was curious on your guy's thoughts on shooting does during the rut? Hope you like the video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNlDzIZOJYw
Old 12-04-2014, 04:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

No big deal shooting does in the rut at all and I've never heard of that being asked by anyone in my many decades in the woods. Is there a particular reason you asked that question?
Old 12-05-2014, 04:30 AM
Fork Horn

To answer your question, I will shoot a doe any time of the season..

And remember when harvesting doe's off a given property to harvest doe's of varying age classes not just mature doe's..

But other then that it really doesn't matter when you kill one.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've heard mix views on when to shoot does. If you shoot them before breeding, you will not kill pregnant does. Then, during the breeding, bucks will mate doe that at are not going to be shot later. Also, I heard that less does going into the rut means bucks have to be more active to find and compete for the few that remain.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:20 AM
Fork Horn

I have heard the same line of thinking but when you look at at analytically if you kill one before or after she is breed you are still killing her and her offspring or potential offspring..
Old 12-05-2014, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

True, but it's about what does are left to breed. A buck can't breed a dead doe, but he can breed one that is about to die. If he is able to breed 6 doe that year, more will survive if all 6 are safe from hunters.

The other thought is purely about the buck. Less does makes buck activity go up and good for hunters. But, it adds stress to the bucks and can take a toll.

It's probably a wash unless you can shoot as many doe as you want, whenever you want. We get one doe tag a year and it's lottery.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:35 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
No big deal shooting does in the rut at all and I've never heard of that being asked by anyone in my many decades in the woods. Is there a particular reason you asked that question?
I was asking because I have heard from some people that they won't shoot does during the rut because they want to see what's behind them. Us personally, haven't seen that many times in the runt when we see a does come through and a buck hot on her trail. Many years we passed on does during the rut just to not have a buck follow and not fill our tag, so was just curious on other's thoughts.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Weekend Woodsmen
I was asking because I have heard from some people that they won't shoot does during the rut because they want to see what's behind them. Us personally, haven't seen that many times in the runt when we see a does come through and a buck hot on her trail. Many years we passed on does during the rut just to not have a buck follow and not fill our tag, so was just curious on other's thoughts.
That makes sense and something I never even gave a thought about!
Old 12-05-2014, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't shoot doe during the rut unless Ive already filled my buck tag.

I can't imagine hunting the rut a lot and never seeing a buck tracking a doe.

Its not like a giant comes in like clockwork but I see bucks following doe tracks all the time during the rut.

Also no matter how many doe you have at some point during the year only a few are in heat. I don't buy the theory that less doe = more active bucks at all.

From my experience the more doe there are to check the more active the bucks are not the other way around.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Drop the doe and stay in your stand. It's basically like a sleeping doe decoy. The buck doesn't know or probably care that the doe is just laying there. They will at least stop and sniff.

And shooting, even with a rifle, won't blow the area out for long. Especially when the rut is on. The buck you may see in 15 minutes could have been a mile away when you fired the shot. I've also had deer in front of me when someone shot 100 yards away. They look around for a few seconds and that's about it. They don't know what it is, or where it came from.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.