Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Father/Daughter

Old 11-24-2014, 05:34 PM
Spike

Default Father/Daughter

It was a rather warm day today in southwest Kansas. I decided to see if my 7 year old girl and my wife wanted to go out hunting with me tonight. My wife said no, but my daughter said yes! She never wants to go out, she always sides with momma.

This was her first hunting outing ever. I was in full leafy wear...she was in her pink coat and light up cowgirl boots. We stalked in (loosley interpreted) to the edge of a brushy creek with an alfalfa field on one side and winter wheat on the other.

Got all settled in (again, loosley interpreted) and started grunting and glassing for deer. I took control of the binoculars and she had the rangefinder, which she thought was the coolest thing in the world! Her code word was "check" every time she saw a deer. The code word was used about 59 times! There was never a deer at the end of her gaze, but I wasn't going to tell her that. She was having a ball!

I have shot some pretty substantial bucks since I started hunting, but no hunt was more rewarding than the one I just got done doing tonight with my daughter. Leaving the field she claimed to have seen 3 deer...by the time we got home the story she told mom was that she had seen 6 deer!

This will be an evening I hold dear forever! I hope she can remember that far back when I am old and grey as well!
Attached Thumbnails Father/Daughter-image.jpg  

Last edited by KyleCulwell; 11-24-2014 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:35 PM
Fork Horn

Thats what its all about! Spending time together and getting youth interested in hunting. Good for you!
Old 11-25-2014, 12:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

And she's quick on those tall tales. Congrats on time well spent.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Old 11-25-2014, 03:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good times!
Old 11-25-2014, 04:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

o me, that sounds like a very successful hunt. I hope you have many more such hunts with the young lady. Hunting isn't about killing, it is about living!
Old 11-25-2014, 08:30 AM
Spike

She says she wants to shoot one next year. I have a buddy who's son shot one at 6 yrs old and daughter at 8 yrs old. With the new "any center-fire cartridge" rule in Kansas, she may have a shot at it. The kids I mentioned used a youth 223 down in Oklahoma. I might have to borrow that gun. I'm still afraid it will kick a little much for her next year. I think I'll just let her lead the way as far as getting one on the ground goes. I sure don't want to run her out of something she had so much fun doing!

She will be doing the back strap ballet soon enough...on her own time!
Old 11-26-2014, 03:37 PM
Typical Buck

Nothing like sparking an interest in a kiddo. Glad she had a blast, that's what it's all about, memories!!