Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Help Tracking Please

Old 11-21-2014, 03:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Not belittling RR, I believe this guy is just having fun for for fun with those who he sucked in.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Jrichard6817
i wont stalk or "still hunt" until it snows. and i hunt in the woods
still hunting works excellent without snow if you do it right, keep the wind in your face, take 2 steps, wait for 6 steps, you won't cover much ground but it is very effective
RR
Old 11-21-2014, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

if a guy has fun with those he sucked in is the worst case scenario, why sweat it, think of the other reasons why a person would ask these questions
RR
Old 11-21-2014, 03:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I enjoy "still" hunting in the woods................... The best is after a rain when you can be quiet.

Unless it is a fresh snow, it becomes crusty / noisy - not good !

Look for deer "sign" not just tracks ................droppings, rubs, sheds, scrapes, heavy cover, ridge lines, bedding areas, water & food sources.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Where we hunt, the two ways to find tracks are to walk the logging roads and look for tracks crossing or, walk the perimeter of a habitat transition. A great example where I am of this is where the overgrown clear cut borders a hemlock swamp. There is a definite trail along this border and this where you will see tracks coming in and out of each habitat.

I've tried this a couple times over the years. Mostly I hike all day and never find the deer/bear. They meander all over the place. No rhyme or reason. No pattern. Just zig-zagging wandering around for miles (literally). I was successful ONCE. There was about 3 feet of snow on the ground. I don't think the buck was in the mood to walk far. Neither was I.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:05 AM
Spike

Okay oldtimr. im going to put it nice. i just dropped 2000 on gear. i dont have the money to drop another 2 or 300$ on a stand. so what i figure. is if i go out and start getting used to the area and get used to seeing signs of deer, ill have a better chance of getting one when i have a stand. if i put up a stand, and there are no sign of deer im not ganna get one anyway. so if you dont have anything nice to say or add to the conversation, why dont you just stay out of my forums? im trying to LEARN. im NEW. i wish i could spell it out a little better for you, but i really cant.

As for the rest of you that are helping me, i really appreciate it. and im taking everything everyone else is saying and im putting it to use. Thank you so much. its nice to just be out in the woods enjoying a day. learning new things. i enjoy the hunt, just like i enjoy fishing. Even if i dont catch anything, just spending the day outside doing what i enjoy is a win for me. of course id love to land an 8 or 10 point buck. who wouldnt? and honestly i wish i could repay every one of you who are being patient and helping me. Thank you all.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:10 AM
Fork Horn

glad to have you in the hunting community.... we all had to start somewhere... some of us were just lucky and born into it...

I have been hunting since I could walk and am 52 now..ewwwww 52 I remember when I was a kid people who 52 were ancient..lol
Old 11-22-2014, 06:19 AM
Spike

NOOO in this day and age, being in your 50's is when your in your prime. there may be a thing here and there you couldnt do like when you were younger, but you have the wisdom that will help over come those few things you cant do as well now. trust me, my father is 56. hes still fit as an ox. but i can run circles around him when we are carrying shingles onto a roof. but hes a hell of a lot smarter then i am. lol but especially now with the life expectancy being 76 for a man, you really are still in your prime. sometimes i wish i was older so that i was a little smarter about the things i have done. a young mans ego can stand in the way a lot. but in all honesty OJI i really appreciate all the help you have given me. i know i ask a lot of stupid questions but its only because i second guess myself all the time lol.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Welcome to the site and I hope you learn lots and score on a big one!