Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Best State for Private Land Ownership? >

Best State for Private Land Ownership?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best State for Private Land Ownership?

Old 11-20-2014, 09:13 AM
Spike

Default Best State for Private Land Ownership?

What is the best state to own private land in, with respect to laws that protect the landowners rights and the state's ability to protect/enforce those rights when needed?

Some states are looser than others (if not posted, OK to tresspass, etc.) or are so severely understaffed so when there is a problem there is no one to help.

Thanks for any feedback
Old 11-20-2014, 10:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Impossible question to answer. Depends on individual preference.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:23 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by flags
Impossible question to answer. Depends on individual preference.
Wrong. Laws and law enforcement capability have nothing to do with individual preference.

For example, I know that in Georgia you do not have to have your land posted. If it is yours it is yours, and all others can be ticketed for tresspass/hunting without permission. It is not that way in many other states. Thus in that respect GA is "better" than a state where you must have your private land posted as such.

The people whose advice I seek likley own land in multiple states and know the differences in what I clearly outlined above.

Last edited by deers2ward; 11-20-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by deers2ward
The people whose advice I seek likley own land in multiple states and know the differences in what I clearly outlined above.
And they may or may not agree with each other. Different people will have different opinions on what makes any piece of land or any specific state "better" than another. That's why they are called opinions and not facts.

Some people like lats of rules and regulations that limit access on their property and some don't. For instance, ND allows access if land isn't specifically posted. So if someone owned 10 or 15 acres next to a ranch that is 30,000 acres and isn't posted, they would legally be able to hunt that 30,000 acres in addition to their own land. In other states that would be illegal. So once again, it depends on what the individual considers important and they may or may not agree with your viewpoint.

Besides, if you really want to know you can do a google search for the laws in each individual state and make up your own mind without asking. Or do you just assume that everyone thinks the same way you do and will all agree on this? Not gonna happen.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:44 AM
Fork Horn

Wrong. Laws and law enforcement capability have nothing to do with individual preference.

For example, I know that in Georgia you do not have to have your land posted. If it is yours it is yours, and all others can be ticketed for tresspass/hunting without permission. It is not that way in many other states. Thus in that respect GA is "better" than a state where you must have your private land posted as such.

Sounds like you already know all the answers, so why even ask the question?
Flags is 100% correct on his first post.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:45 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by flags
And they may or may not agree with each other. Different people will have different opinions on what makes any piece of land or any specific state "better" than another. That's why they are called opinions and not facts.

Some people like lats of rules and regulations that limit access on their property and some don't. For instance, ND allows access if land isn't specifically posted. So if someone owned 10 or 15 acres next to a ranch that is 30,000 acres and isn't posted, they would legally be able to hunt that 30,000 acres in addition to their own land. In other states that would be illegal. So once again, it depends on what the individual considers important and they may or may not agree with your viewpoint.

Besides, if you really want to know you can do a google search for the laws in each individual state and make up your own mind without asking. Or do you just assume that everyone thinks the same way you do and will all agree on this? Not gonna happen.

...Deleted by CalHunter...

Last edited by CalHunter; 11-22-2014 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Attacking another HNI Member--Flags
Old 11-20-2014, 11:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

What is clear is that you asked a very poorly worded question. If you want a question answered specifically you must make it perfectly clear what you want. The question "what is the best state to own private land in with respect to laws that protect the landowners rights and the state's ability to protect/enforce those rights when needed?" is so broad that it can be interpreted in many ways. There is no best state for everyone. Don't blame those who wanted to help and don't give them a flip"wrong" because you ask a poorly worded question. Tell them exactly what you want, perhaps then, if anyone still wants to help you, they will know how to answer.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 11-20-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's clear you can't answer the question, and even clearer that you are not a large land owner in any state, let alone more than one.
If it is legal to bait for flies in a certain state, you would catch more with honey than vinegar. You must have a lot of extra vinegar.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:47 PM
Fork Horn

the state with the best deer hunting and lowest property taxes most states in the south east qualify... check non resident license fees as well if you are not going to live there, land in TN is cheap but non res license is almost $300.. I have owned land in TN,AL and GA, looking to buy some now in KY and it is fairly reasonable as is MO...

Once you get into the midwest IL,IW,KS etc land gets a little more pricey and property taxes go up as well..Extreme west TX land is cheap if you buy enough of it..

I used to sell hunting land all over the place east of the Mississippi..

They're not making any more land buy it now if you can.. It one of the best investments you can own.. I have very little money in the stock market it's all in paid for real estate..
Old 11-21-2014, 04:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's clear you can't answer the question, and even clearer that you are not a large land owner in any state, let alone more than one.
No, what is clear is that you just came to this forum and asked a boneheaded question in a way that is impossible to answer because not everyone would have the same definition of "best". Do you think for one minute that you could get everyone to roger up with the same answer.

Bottom line, people have different viewpoints on such things and they hold different things to be important. Therefore, your definition of "best" will most likely be completely different than someone else's definition of "best". Neither is right and neither is wrong since they are personal viewpoints and therein lies the flaw in your question.

By the way, coming onto a forum like this and copping an attitude right off the bat isn't very bright. Might want to back it down some.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.