Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

federal fusions problems

Old 11-19-2014, 04:25 AM
Spike

I think you need to try different sizes also with different brands. I've got a 270 savage and it won't tolerate 150 gr. I shoot the cheap 130 gr Hornady and they are the best grouping bullets I can find. IMO
Old 11-19-2014, 04:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Sorry, I can't help you

I try the less expensive bullet, sight it in, and see how it works on deer.
With that I keep using the same bullet. Seems us old timers keep using the same bullets, for decades, as long as they're available. Guess the newbies use a lot of the new stuff, with their vast experience.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:12 AM
Spike

Hmm, what exactly does that mean? I know reading text is a poor form of communication, so forgive me if I took this the wrong way, but...
Anyone that uses "new" bullets is a newbie and thus ignorant for trying them? I've been hunting for 29 years...but I suppose I'm a newbie because I sometimes try "newer" ammo? The OP said he bought a new rifle...thus he needs to find ammo that it will group well, and that he prefers federal. He chose to try fusion's first, for whatever reason, perhaps because that's what there's the most of on the shelf in his area. I hate finding a bullet my gun shoots well, then go back for more and can't find any, so I tend to try ammo that I see regularly on the shelf.

I use whatever my rifle prefers, in a controlled expansion bullet, that groups the best. I love it when the first thing I try shoots well, and I always start out with "cheaper" ammo (none of it is very cheap anymore!) but that isn't always the way it works out. I have a 7mm/08 currently that only shoots Barnes triple-shock ammo decent, everything else i've tried won't group under about 2-1/2" at a 100 yards. It keeps them darn all copper bullets at 1"...drastically better. I certainly don't like having to buy that expensive ammo for it, but until I get into reloading or re-barrel it, that's what I'll be using. This is taking into account that I frequently shoot out to 500 yards when hunting one of my open canyon spots. If I was only shooting out to 200 yards, then I'd use one of the cheaper ammo's that don't group as well.
To the OP:
Start with the least expensive ammo that is regularly on the shelf, and stop when you find something that shoots well. You said you prefer Federal, they load several different types of bullets: fusion, speer hot-core, powershok softpoints, nosler partition, barnes triple-shock, trophy copper, trophy bonded bearclaw, and nosler ballistic tip. Oldtimr suggested a good ammo as well, remmington cor-lokt, they are usually abundant and I've always liked the way they perform on deer. If they group well, they'd certainly be a good choice too.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

Spitzer boat tail bullets was designed in 1901 in Europe to be more accurate at long range ; this reduces drag during flight.
Soft point flat base bullets are for short range shooting.

This 1901 design is older than anyone on this forum !

Think about the rocket science they use to send satellites into orbit just so we can criticize one another on the Internet !

Old school ????

1901 !