HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Sittn in the snow!!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/395670-sittn-snow.html)

SecondChance 11-16-2014 02:22 PM

Sittn in the snow!!!

Went out today for a mid-afternooon sit. Went out about 9:30ish just about as our dusting from last night was melting off. I got settled in and about 11ish it began to snow again. Real slow and softly. No wind. You could hear it tickling off the branches and oak leaves.
Saw 2 small bucks running around despite numerous rattling sequences and a large fresh doe in heat drag rag circle to catch any roaming bucks nose. No shooters. Had to leave at 130 to get ready for work. Had about an inch of snow on my backpack and bow. Was just pretty!! Nothing harvested, nothing to drag and clean!!!

jrbsr 11-16-2014 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by SecondChance (Post 4170029)
Went out today for a mid-afternooon sit. Went out about 9:30ish just about as our dusting from last night was melting off. I got settled in and about 11ish it began to snow again. Real slow and softly. No wind. You could hear it tickling off the branches and oak leaves.
Saw 2 small bucks eunning around despite numerous rattling sequences and a large fresh doe in heat drag rag circle to catch any roaming bucks nose. No shooters. Had to leave at 130 to get ready for work. Had about an inch of snow on my backpack and bow. Was just pretty!! Nothing harvested, nothing to drag and clean!!!

At least you saw deer.
You will do better next time.
Good Luck.

buckman11 11-16-2014 03:04 PM

we had 2-3 inches down here this mornin. I'm goin out tomorrow afternoon. I love a little snow to hunt in.:cool2:

ModernPrimitive 11-16-2014 03:12 PM

Maybe 5 or 6 years ago I went out just as a snow storm hit us with 3+ inches/hour. The ground was bare as I went up the tree before noon, when I slogged out at 5:00 there was a solid 14" of snow.
I was hunting in the pines and every so often the snow would slide off the laden branches in a mini avalanche, just WHOOMP! and the tree was empty from top to bottom. It was beautiful.

Those slow snowfalls where you can hear the flakes hitting are memorable!

SecondChance 11-16-2014 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by jrbsr (Post 4170033)
At least you saw deer.
You will do better next time.
Good Luck.

I'm not disappointed at all!!! I was able to see deer, see pretty weather. Beats sitting in the house any day!!!! Could have taken either buck, but not my size to take.

Barefoot Friar 11-16-2014 05:40 PM

I love listening to snow. I especially love hanging in my hammock and listening to snow or rain hitting my tarp.

BrushyPines 11-16-2014 08:37 PM

Man I bet it was beautiful! We don't get much snow here in Mississippi. Always a treat to get to hunt in the snow.

ManofTheFall 11-17-2014 03:46 AM

I love those kind of sits, they are hard to beat.

gamsmith 11-17-2014 06:16 PM

I did the exact same thing today. Had some paperwork to do at work this morning, then got settled in stand around 10. Sat until about 3:30 when I had to get down to go get kids. I saw two does a button buck and a very small 7 chasing one of the does. After I got my climber back down the tree and was getting my rifle reloaded, a deer busted me and took off crashing through the woods. Not sure what it was, but it sounded like a cow. If I had only sat in the stand 10 more minutes.