HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Broadhead advice (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/395647-broadhead-advice.html)

Jlip 11-15-2014 05:13 PM

Broadhead advice

Hey guys, I am looking into getting new broadheads and I am wondering what there expandables are out there that would be good for me. I shoot 55 pounds at 27 draw length, I was looking at the rage 2 blade and I like them I just don't know how they will do with my poundage. Any ideas of how they will do or any other expandable a that will work for me?

2eagles 11-16-2014 03:55 AM

If you feel like you need expandables, check out Killzones by NAP. The clip system works good and blades are much easier to replace. But if you want the best broad head, buy Slicktricks.

cghollowman 11-16-2014 10:48 AM

I have heard good things about the Rage's. Personally, I have a 29 draw length and 58# draw and shoot NAP Spitfire 3-Blades. Took a deer first week of Ohio season and the broadhead expanded as it should and the blades were in great shape, even to use again. I paid $40 for 3, so great price for a good quality broadhead. You should not have an issue with making any decent mechanical broadhead expand with your bow setup. :happy0001:

ijimmy 11-16-2014 12:59 PM

2 blade magnus fixed heads would be my suggestion for your secs , if you have to shoot mechanicals because ,,,,,,,,,,,,, , vortex mini max steel heads with a 1 1/2 inch cut would be my choice , make sure they are as sharp as you can get um

bronko22000 11-16-2014 01:13 PM

Honestly with your set up I would not shoot mechanicals. I say this because I don't know what speed you're getting and what your arrow weight is. Mechanicals expend a lot of energy entering an animal, even a whitetail. This could result in an incomplete pass through and a harder blood trail to follow. Now I'm not saying that they wouldn't easily kill a deer because they would. But a high hit like from a tree stand without a pass through leaves a very sparce blood trail as the animal usually bleeds out internally. My suggestion would be a cut on contact broadhead like the Magnus Stinger, Slick Trick Viper Trick, or Muzzy Phantom. With my choice being the Viper Trick.

WV Hunter 11-17-2014 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by bronko22000 (Post 4170015)
Honestly with your set up I would not shoot mechanicals. I say this because I don't know what speed you're getting and what your arrow weight is. Mechanicals expend a lot of energy entering an animal, even a whitetail. This could result in an incomplete pass through and a harder blood trail to follow. Now I'm not saying that they wouldn't easily kill a deer because they would. But a high hit like from a tree stand without a pass through leaves a very sparce blood trail as the animal usually bleeds out internally. My suggestion would be a cut on contact broadhead like the Magnus Stinger, Slick Trick Viper Trick, or Muzzy Phantom. With my choice being the Viper Trick.

Well said bronko. I agree completely. Go with a better fixed blade head, or cut on contact head for your setup.