Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
hunting from sun up to sun down >

hunting from sun up to sun down

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

hunting from sun up to sun down

Old 11-15-2014, 05:14 PM
Spike

Dark to dark is my preferred method with rifle or bow.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Iv done many sun up till sun down, but every deer iv shot has been between 10-2 my big buck it might have been 5 but no later
Old 11-16-2014, 04:20 AM
Typical Buck

When I was younger, ahem, I'd go in at dark and come out at dark-
pack a lunch and make a day of it. Sometimes, on warmer days, I'd take a nap in the early afternoon to be sharp for dusk. Took a fair share of cruising bucks mid day too. It was great!

As long as I was geared properly for the temps and stayed hydrated, staying put and alert was a good strategy especially as other guys moved around.

Looking back, I realize that I hunted hard but not necessarily smart.

Often, especially on public land , I liked my spot but the deer not so much; some of the places I hunted on foot were so back of beyond and downhill I'm actually glad I didn't hang a tag since it would have been an all day drag out!

In recent years my time has been limited and, frankly, an all day sit seems impossible without thinking of things I should be doing. So, I started a lot more pre season scouting & primarily hunt where I have historically had success- boring but productive.
Now, especially in the afternoon, I'll still hunt in to my stand, sit for a while and,if there isn't any activity, still hunt a small loop out and back to my stand then sit until dark.

I do look forward to more all day hunts when I'm even older.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

You can't shoot them from your couch !

They live out there 24/7 365 days of the year.

You know what I mean.......................?!?!

+ it's hunting season & they know that.