Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Butchering the deer yourself?

Old 10-09-2003, 06:43 PM

Default Butchering the deer yourself?

When I get a deer this year I think I will butcher the deer myself.
So, what are the best ways from getting the deer skinned to the point before it hits the fridge?

Like I have heard of people letting it hang in a tree for a couple days before buthering? Is this correct should I do this? And why?

What parts do you guys cut up or save to eat?

TRoy
Old 10-09-2003, 07:10 PM

Default RE: Butchering the deer yourself?

Well I better revise this, so maybe my other question will get answered.

Do you let your deer hang outside for a certain period of time? And if so why?
Does it have something to do with the blood draining off?
Wont flies get on it and make a mess?

Troy
Old 10-09-2003, 07:18 PM

Hi, Troy...

Well, I' ve only got a certain amount of knowledge, but as best as I know...

You should only allow the deer to hang for a period of time if the temperature of the air is cool enough (lower than 60). That will keep the bugs down, and it will also cool the meat, which makes it easier to butcher. To help keep the bugs out, I would suggest one of those bags they make that will cover an entire animal from the flies.

If it' s too warm outside, you always cut as soon as possible, so that the meat doesn' t spoil.
Old 10-09-2003, 07:29 PM
Spike

cut it as soon as you can if its warm...if its cold you won' t have a problem with bugs. We usually let the deer hang 3-4 days before we cut them up, but only because we wait until we have enough time to do it in a night.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:46 PM

Thanks guys, I know this question that I asked has been asked a dozen times I sure.
I plan on butchering 1 deer myself and another I will take to the butcher for other styles of meat cuts I cant do.

Thanks
Troy
Old 10-10-2003, 08:16 AM

Some say that you should make sure to skin it as quickly as possible. First, it skins much faster when the carcass is still warm. Second, it helps the meat tast better. But, of course, let it hand for a few days, especially if the weather is cold.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:34 AM

I' ve never let any of my deer hang, usually within 2-3 hrs. it is skinned, cut up, and in the Frez. The only reason I would even let a deer hang is because for some reason or another I just couldn' t get it cut up that day. luckily this has never happened, I did stay up until 2am once because of a power outage. I' ve always lived by the rule why put a job off, if you can get it done at the moment.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:42 AM

You will have many oppinions on whether to let the deer hang or not. We butcher all of our deer each year and whether it hangs or not depends on the weather. I would not skin it until I was ready to cut it up. hang it with the skin if you want it to hang. As far as the cuts what do you like to eat? We make steaks out of the tenders, you got some roasts available, grind some into hamburger, cut some in slices for jerky, grind some for summer sausage and brats. A good sealer and grinder and you will never need to take it to the butcher. The money you save will pay for the grinder and sealer. We do at least 10 deer a year so it is a great savings.
Old 10-10-2003, 10:12 AM

See I dont have the equipment to make hamburger,sausage or brats. I looked in the cabelas catalog and they get way expensive. I couldnt buy one for a few hundred dollars this year to do that. It would save a ton of money if you used it every year.

I am just going to get off some steaks and cut someother parts up for the smoker. But I havent figured out how I should cut the quarters up for the smoker.
Old 10-10-2003, 10:26 AM
Spike

IF YOU ASK AROUND TO SOME OF THE SMALL MARKETS IN YOUR AREA, YOU WILL FIND A PLACE TO GRIND YOUR HAMBURG AND MAKE SAUSAGE FOR A SMALL FEE.
WHAT IS A BRAT?
IF YOU DO HANG THE DEER, PUT THE HEAD DOWN.

Quick Reply: Butchering the deer yourself?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.